cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inter vlan link

stephtchoko
Level 3
Level 3

whitout intervlan routing, how can i link 2 or more vlan at layer 2?

regards.

6 Replies 6

a.kumaresan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Whenever hosts in one VLAN need to communicate with hosts in another VLAN, the traffic must be routed between them. This is known as inter-VLAN routing. On Catalyst switches it is accomplished by creating Layer 3 interfaces (Switch virtual interfaces (SVI) ).

To have a communication between 2 vlans in a layer 2 switch The ip default-gateway command is used to specify the default gateway when routing is not enabled. But the layer 2 switch should be connected to a layer 3 device which will be doing routing on behalf of this device.

Dude if you can explain your requirement in detail probably I can help

Inter-vlan bridging can bridge multiple VLANs simultaneously at layer 2. There are some downsides to enabling vlan bridge. See the below document for more info.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a7af6.shtml

HTH

Sundar

i 'll take an example.

switch A has 2 interfaces : f0/1 and f0/2.

f0/1

switch port access vlan 2

f0/2

switch port access vlan 3

2 device are connected on f0/1 and f0/2, the 2 device are on the same subnet: 10.1.1.x/24

how can i do to permi the 2 devices to communicate directly without ip routing ?

Regards.

Hi Friend,

If you do not want ip routing to be enabled than there is a workaround for that and what you can do is configure another 2 interface again with vlan 2 and vlan 3 and connect those two interface with a cross cable and your machines in 2 different vlan can communicate then.

HTH

Ankur

thanks,

How can i do it by soft ?

Regards.

I believe as explained earlier you can do this by brigding between the 2 vlans.

Check the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t3/dtbridge.htm#wp1015327

Vlad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card