Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN Multicast IP Routing using a 3560X Switch

Jeff Harned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a 3560x switch upgraded with the "ip services" license required to do IP multicast routing.  I could use some help with

this since I am having a difficult time on getting things to work correctly. 

I have attached two files; one of the block diagram and one with the configuration of the switch.  I am taking four separte serial input

data streams and converting them each to four separte multicast IP adresses: 239..1.1.3 thru 239.1.1.6.  These four are sent over a single

cable to the switch which I hoped I would be able to route the multicast data to two IP to Serial data conversion units.

These units have LEDs to show data activity but these will just not fire!

Please any help and commnents.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeff

The routing is done between source and receiver in terms of end devices. So if an end device is a receiver it doesn't then route the stream to another receiver.

if you want an end device to receive multiple multicast streams then that end device needs to register for all the streams it wants and the router will then send all streams to the end device.

Does that make sense ?

Jon

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post "sho ip mroute"?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John

Thers's was a typo in the setup but it made no difference.  I attached the file again with your request.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

I see a couple of sources for the groups. It doesn't look like they're pruned, and I'm assuming that since you don't have an RP specified, you're using dense mode - also noted by the flags: DC. (The sparse-dense is only sparse if there's a known RP for the group.) As Jon mentioned, what's the ttl of the packet and is that configurable? Also, do you have members of this group?

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John

Please understand that I am learning as I go and what you mean by pruned and RP is unkwown to me.

Looking at the configuration to the switch that I attached earlier, I used the command "ip pim sparse-dense-mode for the SVI's.

As far as any configuration to the TTL levels this is also new to me and how do I measure this and if neccassary adjust this?

Not clear on what you mean about members; the four IP multicast Addresses that the serial data was converted to (4 separte serial inputs) are 239.1.1.3 thru 239.1.1.6

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Jon

That is a interesting question that I do not have an answer to or know how to check that.  Using Wireshark on the output cable from the Serial to IP Converter to the switch input (port 15) I see all three multicast data streams; 239.1.1.3 thru 239.1.1.6.

However, looking at the two outputs from the switch to the IP to Serial Converters (Receivers) to ports 1 & 2 there is no

multicast data at all.  I noticed this earlier but did not know what this indicates.

I attached the diagram and configuration that show the VLAN setups along with your request.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

Do you still have the wireshark capture. The TTL should be in there.

Jon

Hi Jon

I will have to set it up again and see if I can save it .

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

You may be able to use the "debug ip mpacket" command which should show something like this -

R1#  debug ip mpacket 239.255.0.1 detail

13:09:55.973: IP: MAC sa=0000.0c70.d41e (Ethernet0), IP last-hop=192.168.10.2

13:09:55.977: IP: IP tos=0x0, len=892, id=0xD3C1, ttl=12, prot=17

13:09:55.981: IP: s=133.33.33.32 (Ethernet0) d=239.255.0.1 (Ethernet1) len 906, mforward

but i would say you should only run this out of core hours as it can place a heavy load on the device

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

In addition to John's request, do you know what the TTL setting is on the packets when they are converted to multicast. It needs to be greater than 1 as you need to route between vlans.

Which vlan is the source vlan and which vlan are the receivers in ?

Can you post -

1) sh ip igmp groups

2) sh ip igmp membership

Jon

Hi Jon

Been having a time with this but I happened to run into a document named  "Basic Multicast Troublshooting Tools".  One of the

commands is "show ip igmp interface" which did not give me the information as the example showed.  However, one of the comments that came back was the following that may lead to why this routing is not working, "Internet protocol processing

disabled".  Would you know what this means?

To answwer the question about the TTL, the source is set to 255.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

Can you post the config of the switch +

"sh ip int brief | include Vlan"

Jon

Hi Jon

I reconfigured with different IP addressses but still have the same result.  I am really having a time with this.   I included attached  files

with the drawing of the LAN and your requests. 

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

Lets go through this step by step. So i need some outputs/IPs -

1) the serial to IP conversion unit. Does it have just one IP ? Can you post the IP

2) the IP to serial conversion units - what are their IP addresses. Actually lets concentrate on the one in vlan 10. What is it's IP

3) the unit in vlan 10, what stream should it be receiving ie. the multicast group address ?

It may be that the IP to serial units are not sending IGMP queries to the switch in which case the stream will not be sent into that vlan. Do you know if they support IGMP queries/replies ?

From the switch can you post the output of -

1) sh ip igmp groups

2) sh ip mroute

Jon

Hi Jon

Sounds like a good idea.  I will try to explain question by question.

Refering to the drawing from last post:

1) The four serial data streams comming into the Serial to IP converter were programmed to output muiticast addreses

of 239.1.1.3, 239.1.1.4, 239.1.1.5, and 239.1.1.6 with each one corrersponding to a single serial input.  These four multicast

data streams enter port 15 (VLAN 5) on the switch.  Using Wireshark confirms that all four multicast data streams are entering

the switch.  No other IP 's are being used except the ones to access the Converter unit to configure it to convert to the multicast addresses.

2) They are configured to be able to accept any one of the multicast addreses (above) at port 1 (VLAN 10) and

port 2 (VLAN 15). There are no other IP's asscociated with the ports. The only other IP's being used are the ones

to be able to access the IP to Serial units for configuration.

3)  It is configured now to recieve 239.1.1.3 and 239.1.1.4 simultaneously.  As far as know they do use IGMP but not sure which

version.

The ouputs requested are attached.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: