Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Inter VLAN routing issue

I have added a Catalyst 3560 with multiple vlans into a wiring closet.  It connects to a Dell 3548 via a trunk port.  Only two vlans are in use, vlan 1 and vlan 10.  The trunk to the Dell switch allows all vlans.  I have configured 10 ports on the Catalyst in vlan 10. Vlan 1 has an ip address of 10.2.2.118/22. Vlan 10 interface has an ip address of 10.2.10.227/24. the Dell switch has an a vlan 1 address of 10.2.2.116/22 and a vlan 10 address of 10.2.10.251/24.  The gateway of last resort on the Catalyst is 10.2.2.105. The device at 10.2.2.105 handles inter-vlan routing.

On the Catalyst I can ping 10.2.2.105 and 10.2.10.227 (and also devices in other vlans not listed).  I cannot ping any other device in the 10.2.10.0/24 range.   I cannot ping 10.2.10.227 from any other device except those connected to the vlan 10 ports on the Catalyst.  Devices plugged in to the vlan 10 ports on the Catalyst cannot connect to anything except other devices connected to vlan10 ports on the Catalyst.  I have ip routing enabled.

I am sure I am missing something basic but am at my wits end.

Thank you in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Inter VLAN routing issue

James

If the device 10.2.2.105 is doing the inter vlan routing why are you configuring multiple vlan interfaces on the 3560 and the Dell switch and why have you enabled ip routing on the 3560 ?

And what are you setting the clients to ?

What is the 10.2.2.105 device and how is it connected to the 3560 ?

Basically you need to decide where you want to do the inter vlan routing ie. on which device and set it up that way. If the 3560 and Dell switch are not going to be doign inter vlan routing then don't enable ip routing and only have one vlan interface for management on the switches.

The reason you are probably having trouble pinging things is that you have multiple devices with ip routing setup and with L3 vlan interfaces so it depends what you set the default gateway to on the clients.

Perhaps you can clarify what 10.2.2.105 is and how you want to sei it up ?

Jon

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Inter VLAN routing issue

James

If the device 10.2.2.105 is doing the inter vlan routing why are you configuring multiple vlan interfaces on the 3560 and the Dell switch and why have you enabled ip routing on the 3560 ?

And what are you setting the clients to ?

What is the 10.2.2.105 device and how is it connected to the 3560 ?

Basically you need to decide where you want to do the inter vlan routing ie. on which device and set it up that way. If the 3560 and Dell switch are not going to be doign inter vlan routing then don't enable ip routing and only have one vlan interface for management on the switches.

The reason you are probably having trouble pinging things is that you have multiple devices with ip routing setup and with L3 vlan interfaces so it depends what you set the default gateway to on the clients.

Perhaps you can clarify what 10.2.2.105 is and how you want to sei it up ?

Jon

Inter VLAN routing issue

Thank you.  I disabled the 10.2.10.227 address and can access other vlans.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content