Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter VLAN routing to different subnets

simonator
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

This is my first post and I am seeking help.

In our network we have this 2 L3 switches. 4506 and 3560-x that are used for switching and basic routing such as static routing. I have configured 2 vlans which is vlan 5 and 6 with the network address 172.16.4.0 255.255.254.0 and 172.16.6.0 255.255.254.0 respecitvely. Ip routing is enabled on both L3 switches and everything is working fine. However, I try to do something, I added another vlan which is vlan 7 which is connected to a home router that is providing internet with the network address 192.168.100.0 255.255.255.0. The gateway or ip of the home router is 192.168.100.1

I tried to configure the vlan 7 on each L3 switches to have their own ip (well I just want to) and tried to ping the gateway from the switches and I can ping it with no problem. However, when I try to ping the home router's gateway from one of the client pc in vlan 6 or any other client pc in the two vlans, I was unable to do it.

My friends, is there a way that I can reach the home router's network? Anyone please help me

Benny Simon Ramirez

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The problem is surely that the home router needs a route to vlan 6 and 5 to reply back so add a static route pointing to SVI for vlan 7 as next-hop for these 2 subnets on home router and it will work.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

It sounds like the home router does not know how to reach the LAN subnets.

I suspect the ICMP packets are reaching the home router and because the Source IP address is one of the 172.16.*.* subnets, the home router has no idea where to forward the Echo Reply to as it know knows about its own subnet which is 192.168.100.0.

Your home router needs to know about all your LAN subnets which need internet access so it is able to return packets to them.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The problem is surely that the home router needs a route to vlan 6 and 5 to reply back so add a static route pointing to SVI for vlan 7 as next-hop for these 2 subnets on home router and it will work.

Regards

Alain

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

It sounds like the home router does not know how to reach the LAN subnets.

I suspect the ICMP packets are reaching the home router and because the Source IP address is one of the 172.16.*.* subnets, the home router has no idea where to forward the Echo Reply to as it know knows about its own subnet which is 192.168.100.0.

Your home router needs to know about all your LAN subnets which need internet access so it is able to return packets to them.

First of all thank you all for your answers,

Yes, I am thinking also this and I posted this discussion to verify my theory. The home router has a web app and I cannot add any static routes going to the vlans. anyway. thank you very much!

Hi,

Can you  configure RIPv2 on the home router and the switch ?

Regards

Alain

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card