Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-Vlan routing with no trunk ports

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

Let say I have a router with an SVI and 4 Vlans.If I connect 4 cables to access ports on a switch with the corresponding Vlans , would It be possible to communicate with the other Vlans through the SVI ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

if you want to connect a switch to ASA you need trunking and trunk mode is available only with security plus license, so you have 2 solutions:

1- upgrade to sec license and use trunking feature

2- connect 4 cable of switch to ASA and assign them to different VLAN, this is not good solution but solve you problem. (switch ports should be access port and you can assign 4 port of ASA to VLANS with different security level)

View solution in original post

Hi ,

It's not posible to do intervlan routing with ASA 5505 with Base License for 4 vlans.

In routed mode, you can configure up to three active VLANs with the Base license.

With the Base license, the third VLAN can only be configured to initiate traffic to one other VLAN. So in other words the 3rd vlan , could only communicated with only one vlan ( because of "no forward interface vlan #")

So your ASA will do intervlan routing for 2 VLANS, and the 3rd will communicate only with one of the other vlans.

Dan

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

kamran_Roostaee
Level 1
Level 1

You metioned that you have a router with SVI and a Switch with 4 access port with different VLANs, so it is possible to use router for communication between these VLANs, but there is no need to SVI, you should connect switch to one port of router and create 4 sub interface below this interface, also you should put switch port to trunk mode with 802.1Q trunk encapsulation, each subinterface is used as one gateway for each VLAN and router can connect these VLANs

Hi.

The problem Is It's an ASA 5505 with a base license so I can't configure trunk ports on It.

Do you want to use 4 of ASA's switch port or you want connect a switch to ASA and want to config one port on ASA as trunk?

I want to connect a switch to ASA but I can't configure one port as trunk with the base license.

if you want to connect a switch to ASA you need trunking and trunk mode is available only with security plus license, so you have 2 solutions:

1- upgrade to sec license and use trunking feature

2- connect 4 cable of switch to ASA and assign them to different VLAN, this is not good solution but solve you problem. (switch ports should be access port and you can assign 4 port of ASA to VLANS with different security level)

Thanks for the Info !

Hi ,

It's not posible to do intervlan routing with ASA 5505 with Base License for 4 vlans.

In routed mode, you can configure up to three active VLANs with the Base license.

With the Base license, the third VLAN can only be configured to initiate traffic to one other VLAN. So in other words the 3rd vlan , could only communicated with only one vlan ( because of "no forward interface vlan #")

So your ASA will do intervlan routing for 2 VLANS, and the 3rd will communicate only with one of the other vlans.

Dan

Thank you !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: