cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter VLAN Routing

Mark Bowyer
Level 1
Level 1

I am pretty sure this is the case, but for inter vlan routing the work properly, does there need

to be an IP address set on the VLAN interface? I am fairly sure there does need to be

as it would not know where to route the traffic to otherwise as I dont think the traffic is tagged until it reaches the trunk.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You are correct. You need an IP on the VLAN SVI (virtual interface) to acheive InterVLAN routing (if you are using a Layer 3 switch). If you are using a Layer 2 switch, then you need a router to do InterVLAN routing.

interface VLAN 1

ip address

exit

interface VLAN 2

ip address

exit

ip routing

Please make sure that all devices in the VLAN point to these two addresses as their default gateway respectively.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You are correct. You need an IP on the VLAN SVI (virtual interface) to acheive InterVLAN routing (if you are using a Layer 3 switch). If you are using a Layer 2 switch, then you need a router to do InterVLAN routing.

interface VLAN 1

ip address

exit

interface VLAN 2

ip address

exit

ip routing

Please make sure that all devices in the VLAN point to these two addresses as their default gateway respectively.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

I just read over your post again. It is actually a 3750 that I am talking about which is a layer

3 switch. So you are saying that I would need to assign an IP address on every vlan that I need to route somewhere? On a router you would need to create sub interfaces and tag each sub interface?

Hello,

Yes, that is correct. That IP address will act as default gateway for all

the hosts in the VLAN.

Regards,

NT

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card