cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inter vlan routing

aksher
Level 1
Level 1

can the ip routing command be used from global mode on layer 3 switch instead of creating SVIs for inter vlan communication.

13 Replies 13

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Nope you still have to create the SVI.

HTH and please rate.

but from the conf on the switch i can see only 3 SVIs for 3 VLANs. FYI i ve more than 10 VLANs configured on the switch...

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

-SVIs are created when you create VLANs but you need to configure them only if you want to route between VLANs or for the management VLAN.

-IP routing commands are invoked at the global level to route between SVIs.

In general what is the procedure to accomplish inter vlan routing on a layer 3 switch.first we need to create vlans then assign specfic ports for the vlans and then should we need to create separate svis for each vlan before using ip routing command???

Yes, SVIs are created the first time that you enter the vlan interface configuration command for a VLAN interface. You need to configure them to make routing possible. Routing, on a router or L3 switch, is done between interfaces (physical or virtual)with L3 addresses. BTW, only one SVI can be associated with a VLAN.

But why is that am seeing only 3 SVI in my configuration where i have 40+ vlans.does it mean inter vlan routing will happen only for those vlans..

What do you mean by see? Can you post your config?

Did you configure the SVIs with IP Addresses?

Switch(config)#int vlan n

switch(config-int)#ip address x.x.x.x mask

switch(config-int)#no shut

If there is no SVI configured for a VLAN then no routing can occur between it and other VLANs.

But why is that am seeing only 3 SVI in my configuration where i have 40+ vlans.does it mean inter vlan routing will happen only for those vlans..

Is it possible you are in a client /server environment ? In which case you would see all vlans that are created on the server ? See how many vlans are actually being used on the box with the show vlan command which should show you the ports and which vlans they are in . You will probably have to post the config for a further answer.

what is the command you are using to see SVI?

Overall i want the procedure to enable inter vlan communication on 6513 switch..

Hi there,

You have to do 3 things:

1. create the VLANs if not created

2. Enable routing: "ip routing"

3. Configure the SVI interfaces.

interface vlan x

ip address x.x.x.x

no shut

interface vlan y

ip address y.y.y.y

no shut

and so on for all your vlans, the ip address of the SVI interfaces should be the gateway of the hosts in this VLAN.

best regards,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

When you say you're seeing only 3 SVI's, I take it you mean that there are only 3 "interface Vlan x" entries in your running/startup config?

Realize that creating a VLAN does not mean that an SVI is created for it. If you used "Vlan database" or in global config "vlan x", this creates the VLAN. You then have to create the SVI for that VLAN, by an "interface vlan x". Then configure an IP address etc for that SVI and as others have said, turn on IP routing and the router/L3 switch will handle inter-vlan communication. Without an SVI configured for a VLAN, or without an IP address configured for it, no traffic can be routed between the VLANs in question. HTH.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card