cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface description best practice

prashanma
Level 1
Level 1

What is best practice for interface description ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As the others have already noted, whatever is helpful to the network team supporting those interfaces.

Two particular points to keep in mind. First, you'll probably want some information in descriptions to help when troubleshooting a down interface. Second, you may want both "permanent" and "temporary" information in the description. The former might be things like a service provider and circuit information. The latter might something like "*** circuit accidentally cut 11/23/17 - should be restored 11/28/17 - J. Doe ***, which would be removed when circuit back on-line.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It can be whatever you want as long as it makes sense for you and your organization.

Here are a couple of examples:

to 1st floor access-sw port 1/1 ip 10.10.10.1

to isp router port 3/1 circuit id 1234567

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no "best practice" for giving an interface a description. 

It could named as "Yipee, Yipee Ka Yaya" or "yabba dabba D000" but it won't help if the description doesn't mean anything.  

I would say that the Best Practice is that every interface should have a description and that the description should convey information that is meaningful to the team that supports the network. Depending on your environment that meaningful information might be about physical location, or might be about its function, or connectivity between devices, or something else that is meaningful to your team.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

here's quick example from one of my routers the way we do it, a main wan circuit description just changed the details a bit for security , P1 for a priority circuit , location , speed , vendor , circuit identity and router name that provides location, building no , floor no and router number

P1:XIF:WCL:150MB:ComCast:H00A64534:xif-b208inr04 EBGP #3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As the others have already noted, whatever is helpful to the network team supporting those interfaces.

Two particular points to keep in mind. First, you'll probably want some information in descriptions to help when troubleshooting a down interface. Second, you may want both "permanent" and "temporary" information in the description. The former might be things like a service provider and circuit information. The latter might something like "*** circuit accidentally cut 11/23/17 - should be restored 11/28/17 - J. Doe ***, which would be removed when circuit back on-line.

I think the best practice is to have the most information in less word as possible.
Generally I use "Hostname-Card-Port".
With this information you can troubleshoot faster.

B.R.
M.

Hi

I think there are many ways, but you could be specify for example Circuit name with destination host and port, for example:

interface g0/0

description [VC 101 to NY01L2R01 G0/1]

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card