Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface hangs/stucks after few hours

kakados2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody.

we're facing a weird issue lately with a Cisco 2821.

An interface stops responding after a few hours.

The only way to bring it 'up' again is:

Hardcode: duplex or speed

or

shutdown -> no shutdown

there are no errors in the "sho interface" and no errors or entries in the log.

FastEthernet0/0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Fast Ethernet, -

Description: Infopoint

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 22:20:19, output never, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 3d23h

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

158377 packets input, 13566230 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 20036 broadcasts (3176 multicasts)

0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

310913 packets output, 72379459 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

0 unknown protocol drops

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

2 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Any idea why this is happening?

17 Replies 17

Hi Leo, unfortunately yes, I'm still getting the same issues. Matter of fact, the internet just went down because of this problem with the router. I just had to restart it some 10 minutes ago to restore the service.

Hmmmm ... You wouldn't happen to have a 2960, 3560G or a 3750G nearby would you?

lol, Nope. Unfortunately the 2821 happens to be the only better router available now. I did already suggest to my company to buy one of the routers u suggested but they said, I'm a network adminstrators and I have to come up with a way to solve  the problem of this router, that's why I've been looking for alternative ways to avoid having to restart the router every 4, 5 or 8 hours. The surprising thing though, is that for the first time the router has been up for 11h now. Ok maybe some few more details will help understand better my situation:

We have the same 2821 router with 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces and 1 HSSI interface. The 2 LAN interfaces connect to LANS in our office and the HSSI connect to a comtech modem and to the internet via satelite. This router has been up for the past 5 months with no problem. Now, The router giving me tough time (located in another department) is another same 2821 but with only 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces. The gigabit ethernet 0/0  connects to our LAN and the 0/1 connects to an optical fiber converter (OP-108) in our office, and to a remote OP-108 on our ISP side , then to a router then to internet via optical fiber. And so my problem is that this later router works for few hours and then suddenly its interfaces stop responding. U can can easly setup a console session with the router but the interfaces would not respond until u restart the router to restore the service.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: