cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Name

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

This is a stupid question, but I dont have time to research....

Is "serial 2/7:0" a physical or logical interface? I believe it is physical, but the ":" always throws me for a loop...been a while since I messed with this type of serial card.

Thanks

VL

18 Replies 18

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I think it's a logical interface, from an E1 card, as you can assign the number of 64k channels to assign to the logical interface from the E1/PRI connection.

If it was a physical serial interface card, would be something like:-

serial 2/7

HTH>

I think its physical.

see below the output of a show hardware and a sh ip int brief.

ilabs01>sh hard | in 4 Serial

4 Serial network interface(s)

ilabs01>

ilabs01>sh ip int brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

GigabitEthernet0/1 3.175.238.237 YES NVRAM up up

GigabitEthernet0/2 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

GigabitEthernet0/3 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

ATM1/0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

ATM1/0.100 3.182.249.34 YES manual up up

Serial2/0:0 unassigned YES manual down down

Serial2/1:0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

Serial2/2:0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

Serial2/7:0 3.182.249.58 YES manual administratively down down

Loopback0 1.182.255.88 YES manual up up

Loopback1 3.182.255.75 YES manual up up

Tunnel10111 3.182.246.153 YES manual administratively down down

ilabs01>

What do ya think?

VL

Victor

I agree that it is (mostly) physical. The :0 indicates the channel group (or DS 0 group) of a channelized interface. And the interface Serial2/0:0 is a physical interface on the router. I agree that it is close enough to the way that we represent subinterfaces, that it can be a bit confusing (and I do not think that it is a stupid question).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi, Rick:

I asked this question because someone asked me to approve a script to remove some configs off the inetrface and he had a "no interface serial2/7:0" and, without the ability to replicate in my lab, I wondered if it was possible.

I took it as a physical interface, which cant be deleted, of course, so I changed the script to remove the configs we want removed one line at a time.

Sounds good?

Thanks

Victor

Victor

Sounds mostly good. Certainly no interface serial2/7:0 would not work. Removing the config line by line would work but I wonder if it would not be easier to just do:

config t

default interface serial2/7:0.

which would remove all the config statements in one statement without worrying about exactly what had been configured.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, Rick.

The implementation engineers are required to follow a template and this command is not available to them. I will bring it up at our next architecture meeting, though.

Victor

Hello Victor, Rick,

an interface ser2/7:0 is a result of a channel-group assigment under controller e1 2/7

I think that if you want to remove it you need:

controller e1 2/7

no channel-group 0

or no channel-group unframed

(both can lead to create int ser2/7:0)

Rick's solution is good if the idea is to remove configuration.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hey, G:

yes, my desire was simply to remove the configuration, thats all. Someone wrote a script with the command "no interface s2/7:0" which wont work. You cant delete a physical interface.

Thanks

Victor

The suggestion from Giuseppe is interesting and would work. It addresses the part of my prior response of "I agree that it is (mostly) physical" and focuses on the "mostly". As you have commented you can not directly remove the interface with a no interface... command. But removing the channel-group on the controller will effectively remove the serial interface definition. (of course there might be an issue whether the "no channel-group" is within the set of commands accessible to them)

Which approach is better sort of depends on what your real goal is. If the objective is to remove existing config information but to leave the interface available to deployment to something else then removing config line by line or by default interface is probably optimum. If the objective is to make the interface go away then the no channel-group may be optimum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

If the objective is to remove existing config information but to leave the interface available to deployment to something else then removing config line by line or by default interface is probably optimum. If the objective is to make the interface go away then the no channel-group may be optimum.

Nah, I dont want to get rid of the interface, just remove the config.

Thanks

VL

Hi

As Guiseppe wrote, You can try

controller e1 2/7

no channel-group 0

# this will remove the interface, and then, do

channel-group 0

# this will reinsert the interface

hopefully the interface will be without any config

/Mikael

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

it's a logical (channelized) interface. serial 2/7 is the physical interface..

OK, heres something funny.

The interface was administratively shut down 7 hours ago (interface serial2/7:0...shutdown), yet we are seeing logged messages saying that "controller E1 2/7, changed state to up"...then "down"...I dont get it...

Thanks

Victor

Hi

As stated above, the int ser2/7:0 is is a logical interface, wich you put in shutdown 7 hours ago.

The controller e1 2/7 is still operating, and it seems to be some problem with it, (up/down message), you have to find out if there is a clocking problem or a cable problem, or if you don't want to use it any more you can do

controller e1 2/7

shutdown

/Mikael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco