Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Intermittant connection problems between router and switch.

I have a connection between a switch and a router that seems to just randomly go bad. When I ping the switch from the router is drops about half of the pings. I tried moving the ethernet cable from the current port on the switch to a different and it work just fine. So I was thinking maybe the port was just bad, but after I moved the cable back to the original switch port everything was working again. Then for the next several days everything way fine. Today once again the connection went bad. I reloaded the switch and the conenction was still dropping about half of the pings. Then I reloaded the router and everything was fine again. Now I know its not going to start acting up again for a few days at least as this has been going on for a bit now. Originally I though maybe something was wrong with the switch but no I'm thinking it may be the router.

Is there anything I can do to maybe force the connection to go bad again?

Is there anyway I can generate traffic to see which interface might be taking errors when the connection is acting up?

Any suggestions would be great as I've only been doing this for a little over a month and am trying to learn as much as i can.

3 REPLIES

This could be caused by duplex/speed mismatch. So try hardcoding the speed and duplex on router and switch.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

The speed and duplex are hardcoded in the configs for both interfaces on the router and switch. The configs have not been changed in well over a year so I don't feel like it is a config problem.

Also, this is  duplicate topic and can be closed. I didn't think my first one went though. So I don't know if I can close it or if an admin has too. Sorry for any problems.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content