Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Connectivity

nagalingammk
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

please find the attached diagram and advice can we make a auto switchover when one of the internet links goes down.

so that users can access the internet with out any interuption,

8 Replies 8

Ramprasad Pr
Level 1
Level 1

Use GLBP instead of HSRP. It helps in both ways redundancy and loadbalancing. There won't be any interuption.

Regards

Ram

thanks Ram,

but my concern this will switch over if the line protocol gone down for any of the internet link.

as per my understanding the link will switch over only when the interface goes down.

thanks

thanks Ram,

but my concern this will switch over if the line protocol gone down for any of the internet link.

as per my understanding the link will switch over only when the interface goes down.

thanks

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

Please see the attached BGP Dual Homed ISP design. This is one of the most widely used network designs for multihomed ISP connnections.

If BGP is not an option, then you can use HSRP, create two groups one primary /secondary to each other and load balance this way, and track the serial link

Much easier to allow Routing to handle LB

thanks ropethic

My pleasure, good luck

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your diagram indicates you're using a HSRP gateway. An easy method for the active gateway to switch to another router is to track the up/down status of another interface and adjust HSRP priority with the status of the interface. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml for details.

The above assumes the tracked link goes down, but since your diagram show WAN interfaces as "F 0/1/1", if they're FastEthernet, you might lose connectivity to your provider but the link remains up. A newer feature of HSRP is the capability to track other objects, such as being able to ping an IP address (such as the ISP's router address). See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/blades/3040/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swhsrp.html for more details.

So far, I've been assuming you only are using one of your two Internet links, but there are ways to use both while supporting failure switch over. GLBP has already been mentioned by another poster, but it might not work well in your topology because of the limited number of "clients", i.e. the two 6500s. BGP has also been mentioned by another poster, and routing is an excellant suggestion, and should be considered, but much will depend on your equipment and enviroment with your providers. Another approach might be to use MHSRP, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094e90.shtml for more details.

thanks joseph, i guess the second option will helpful for me

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: