Views
Helpful
Replies

interoperability nexus7K-other Cisco switches

danilodicesare
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

question about STP beetwen N7K and some other switches (Cisco 3750 and Cisco 4500).

I have and mixed env with PV-RSTP and PVSTP and i have to add some Nexus 7K in a vPC topology.

Question is what do i have to do with bridge assurance? Disable globally or i can let it enabled (maybe for the vPC link beetwen Nexus with command   spanning-tree port type network) and put something on interface (omitting specification of  'spanning-tree port type network' in a link <always vPC channel> beetwen the two Nexus and 3750 or 4500)

BR

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Don,

By default bridge assurance is enable globally on N7K, but the default port type is normal for backward compatibility with devices donot support bridge assurance. So you donot have to disable bridge assurance, as long as you keep the normal port type, it will not cause problem with other switches.

You need to put the VPC peer-link into network port by using command "spanning-tree port type network"; for your vPC member port you donot want enable bridge assurance on it, because the downstream devices do not support bridge assurance.

HTH,

Lei Tian

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Don,

By default bridge assurance is enable globally on N7K, but the default port type is normal for backward compatibility with devices donot support bridge assurance. So you donot have to disable bridge assurance, as long as you keep the normal port type, it will not cause problem with other switches.

You need to put the VPC peer-link into network port by using command "spanning-tree port type network"; for your vPC member port you donot want enable bridge assurance on it, because the downstream devices do not support bridge assurance.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card