Views
Helpful
Replies

INTERVLAN Ping Issue

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have 2 VLANS setup on a layer 3 switch. I have dhcp scopes handing out ip addresses for both VLANS by the same layer 3 switch. I can ping anything in VLAN 3 from VLAN 2 as long as it recieved a ip address from DHCP with no problem. My problem is I have 2 servers plugged into the

same switch using VLAN 3 static ip addresses. I can not ping them at all from VLAN 2 but I can ping them from any device inside of VLAN 3. Why is this and how do I correct it?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Check if you have default gateway configured on the servers?.

Regards,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree sounds like the default gateways  were not defined on the static servers  or  you are trying to ping a device that has a software firewall  running and blocking your ping request.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please post your configuration ,it is not clear what exactly is happening .

Regards

Ganesh.H

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Check if you have default gateway configured on the servers?.

Regards,

Nagendra

Thanks I can't believe I missed that. My other server had the default gateway set. I must have been more tired than I thought.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree sounds like the default gateways  were not defined on the static servers  or  you are trying to ping a device that has a software firewall  running and blocking your ping request.

Thanks I can't believe I missed that. My other server had the default gateway set. I must have been more tired than I thought.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card