cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

InterVLAN Routing cornfusion

kbullard00
Level 1
Level 1

For two days I have been trying to get this intervlan routing to work.

I know the trunks are set up properly as are the vlans and the ports assigned correctly.

In Packet Tracer the frames make it from the VLANs across the trunks fine. But at the router the problem occurs.

For some reason the packets or frames do not make it past the router (2620). I have setup the subinterfaces many times.

Today using Packet Tracer I got this screenshot.

I'm just trying to send a packet from a VLAN across the router to the Internet. So far no luck.

Thanks for any help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I saw your attachment named "switch1.jpg" but one thing is not clear for me:

In the "show vlan" command output I don't see the vlan number 10. It seems that you didn't create it on the switch.

And in the "show int trunk" output command there is not tha vlan 10 in forwarding state because the vlan 10 is not created on the switch.

I think you could solve your problem just creating the vlan 10 on the switch 1.

Try and let me know please.

Regards

Fabio

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Are you sure the link between the switch and the router is configured as a trunk and allowing the VLANs?

The ports on the switch connecting to the end user devices should belong to a single VLAN as access ports, and all ports connected between switches and router should be trunk.

I have used Packet-tracer to do inter-VLAN routing so I know it works.

Federico.

Yes they are configured as trunk. In packet tracer I can watch the frame move from vlan 10 across all the trunks to the router at the end.

I have set it up with only switches and vlans and trunks and sent frames between switches just fine.

the inter vlan routing with the router though is not working.

see sample show output for Switch 1

Do you have dot1q encapsulation enabled on all trunk uplink ports between your switches and router?

If still does not work you're configuring something wrong.

Could you attach the configurations?

Federico.

Hi,

I saw your attachment named "switch1.jpg" but one thing is not clear for me:

In the "show vlan" command output I don't see the vlan number 10. It seems that you didn't create it on the switch.

And in the "show int trunk" output command there is not tha vlan 10 in forwarding state because the vlan 10 is not created on the switch.

I think you could solve your problem just creating the vlan 10 on the switch 1.

Try and let me know please.

Regards

Fabio

Thanks for all your help.

You're right. I didn't realize every switch involved in the transfer of data had to have every vlan configured on it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card