cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan routing problem on 3548/2621

peperg
Level 1
Level 1

I am having an issue getting a router on a stick network to come up. I have configured trunking, dot1q encap, sub interfaces and vlans and their interfaces. When I check the status of the interfaces on the 3548 they are all admin down and the shutdown command is shown when I do a sh run int vlanx even though I have entered the no shut command.

I am looking to see if anyone has seen this before. The router is running IPPLUS 12.1(27b) due to memory limitations and the switch is on 12.0(5)WC1.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Using VLAN 1 for management is common, but you can use any VLAN you want, just shutdown VLAN1 and no shut whatever VLAN you are using. It would also have to be created in the VLAN database.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

The 3548 is layer 2 only. The vlan interface is only used to assign a management address to the switch. Only one vlan interface will be active.

To test your router on a stick config you need hosts connected to ports in the different vlans. They should be able to ping the router address and other subnets.

Please rate helpful posts.

hhmm, I will have to rearrange the IP addressing . I am assuming that means that I have to use VLAN1 as the one and that is the one that I will use to connect to it. I will let you know how it goes after tomorrow.

Thanks the the help.

P

Using VLAN 1 for management is common, but you can use any VLAN you want, just shutdown VLAN1 and no shut whatever VLAN you are using. It would also have to be created in the VLAN database.

That worked, I had to use VLAN 1 though cause the router would not accept the encapsulation dot1q 3 native command. Now the trick is going to be to stack another 3548 since I need 62 ports. Thank you for straighting me out on that.

P

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Please paste the router and the switch Config. We will have a look at it and will let your know the findings.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco