cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

InterVLAN routing with more than one switch

pembrokeschool
Level 1
Level 1

We have 8 VLANs on different subnets and a 3550 doing the routing between them. Since we have three campuses, I have also installed a new 3560 in each of the other two campuses, which are connected via fibre to the 3550. I want to turn on routing on the 3560s, too, but when I issue the command "ip routing" on these switches, they become uncontactable. Traffic still seems to move through them properly, but I can no longer telnet to them. I figure this is a default gateway issue, but I'm not sure how to fix it. The 3550 has no default gateway command issued, but uses a static route to the internet gateway:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.2

The two 3560s which need ip routing turned on, have a default gateway command set to the management VLAN:

ip default-gateway 10.2.0.1

How can I best configure this arrangement?

1 Reply 1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you turn on ip routing on the 3560's then you must change from a default gateway command to a default static route . You only use a default gateway when you have routing turned off.

no ip default-gateway 10.2.0.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.2.0.1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card