Views
Helpful
Replies

Intra-VLAN multicast traffic Nexus 7000

s-durando
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have 2 couples of Nexus 5548 connected to 2 Nexus 7010 core switches as you can see on attached network layout.
Multicast source and multicast receiver are assigned to the same VLAN. This VLAN is only Layer 2 on Nexus 7010.

If I connect multicast source and receiver on two different ports on the same FEX, the receiver is able to join multicast group and get multicast traffic.

If I connect the source on FEX 111 and the receiver on FEX 121, the receiver cannot get multicast traffic. The only way to have the receiver getting multicast traffic is to configure SVI on Nexus 7010 and activate PIM on it.

Why I need to configure PIM if source and receiver are in the same VLAN?
How can I avoid this Layer 3 configuration on Nexus 7010?

Regards
Stefano

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not familiar with multicast on Nexus switches but it sounds like you might be facing the problem outlined in this doc -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008059a9df.shtml

the doc includes solutions to the problem as well.

Jon

Jon's link explains the problem in your topology.

The multicast receiver on the other FEX has no knowledge of the source (over the trunk) because of igmp snooping is enabled.

To resove this problem, you have 2 solution, which you already know about the first one - to configure SVI and enable PIM.

The second solution is to enable igmp snooping querier. In Nexus, the configuration is under vlan xx. Here is an example:

vlan 99

ip igmp snooping querier x.x.x.x

x.x.x.x is an ip address not used by any host. I am assuming this is an L2 only network, you can use any reserved IP, such as x.x.x.1 or x.x.x.254.

HTH,

jerry

Jerry,

I have to configure ip igmp snooping querier on both Nexus 7010 and 5548, is it true?

Thanks

Stefano

You only need one switch to be an IGMP querier but you need all switches to be running IGMP snooping.

Jon

Jon is correct.

Regards,

jerry

williammanurung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So, you have just configure SVI and enable PIM on SVI, right? For multicast traffic receive on another fex?

how about configure IGMP Snooping, is it default?

I believe another solution would be to disable IBM snooping on that particular VLAN on the N7000 where the L3 lives:

(config)# vlan configuration 2001 <E> 

(config-vlan)# no ip igmp snooping <E>

Turns off IGMP snooping on VLAN 2001....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card