Views
Helpful
Replies

INVALIDSOURCEADDRESSPACKET in cisco 4507

Robo123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have a cisco 4507 chassi running with "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.06.04.E.152-2.E4.bin" ios
i received the below error on the module 5 and same time entire connectivity of the module went down post hard rest of module 5 same came up and working fine

Error MSG:-

%C4K_L2MAN-6-INVALIDSOURCEADDRESSPACKET:(Suppressed 142 times)Packet received with invalid source MAC address (00:00:00:00:00:00) on port Gi5/24 in vlan 183
%SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP:

module part:-WS-X4624-SFP-E

kindly helpme to find the rootcause of this issue.

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
take a look at this doc explaining the alert may help you , you may need to span it out to find the culprit , wouldn't have thought it would take down a module though ? were there any other alerts for the MOD

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/network-infrastructure-documents/the-quot-c4k-l2man-6-invalidsourceaddresspacket-quot-error/ta-p/3130509

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is bug id (CSCto67828) associated with this error.  You may want to look at upgrading to a different version and test again.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCto67828/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

HTH

Hi Reza,

The device is running with IOSXE ver "cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.06.04.E.152-2.E4.bin" and the mentioned bug is not showing effected on this release .Kindly check and update the same.

What device is connected to port Gi5/24 ?
Does the switch have an IP address in vlan183?
Was there a console cable connected to the switch? Was there no output via console?

Paul

Hi ,

The port5/24 is connected to the WS-C6509 Vtp switch.here the 4507 is the core switch. Actually we had lost the entire connectivity to the perticular module at the issue time due to this entire procuction went down 

During the issue all the ports were showing amber only port 24 was showing up. 

Please let me know how we can proceed further.

Have a look at this post. Similar platform and problem. Somebody else already suggested a solution so it would be unfair not to recognise their solution.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/c4k-l2man-6-invalidsourceaddresspacket-packet-received-with/td-p/2329119

mac address-table static 0.0.0 vlan 183 drop

I suspected a gratuitous ARP which I don't think it's far from truth. Check logs at the time of the issue on all devices connected to vlan183 (check the 6500 switch first).

I hope it helps,

Paul

Hi palup,

Thanks for the information . All port of the module went down with below Error.

%C4K_TRANSCEIVERMAN-3-SEEPROMREADFAILED: Failed to read transceiver serial eeprom on port Gi5/3, try reinserting

but even after resetting SFP module also same error occured.when we have reseted the entire module issue got resolved.

Please suggest on the above.

If I were you I would swap the SFP with another one in a different port on the same module.

While this may be an acceptable solution I appreciate that in production this still leaves the environment at risk. This is why I suggest you extract a "show-tech" and open a TAC case as this could point to several possible issues: physical and the SFP was not seated properly or the port has a fault; software in which case it will have to be analysed by TAC as it may point to an undiscovered bug.

Can you also post the hardware details of the SFP transceiver?

Hope it helps,

Paul

hi ,

1) we where using CIsco SFP modules but reset of the SFP module is not resolved the issue .We had reseated entire module 5 in chassi then same is came up.is it related any power or voltage fluctuation might be happened in side the module 

2) we have removed the SFP module from the one port and tried to re insert in to the other ports but the port went to in active mode.also tried with new SFP Transiver but result was same.

Module 5 Line card:-WS-X4624-SFP-E

SUP Card:-WS-X45-SUP7L-E

Please suggest on the above.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card