Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS BOOT ISSUE - 2960

jhotles
Level 1
Level 1

Hey folks -

Look for some help on this. I installed into my Cisco flexstack 2960 (3 switches) a .bin file "

c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin"

I uploaded it onto the switch and set #Boot system flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin

After it rebooted it sat at this state -

...done Initializing Flash.

done.

Loading "flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin"...@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

File "flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000

executing...

It will not budge - I went into the SWITCH: mode and tried to boot to the other image which is: c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE7

But whenever I reboot it keeps going to the SE2 image and then freezes. Any idea of what I 've done wrong on this one?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-58.SE2

Not related to your issue but still important:  STAY AWAY from this version.  If you really want, upgrade to either 12.2(55)SE8 or 15.0(2)SE4.  Don't even bother with the rest of the versions.

What is my exact command context if you know it?

If you have a IOS file with a TAR extension, the command would be:  archive download-sw tftp:///filename.tar

Before you begin with the IOS upgrade make sure you compare the MD5 hash value of the file you've download against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.  If the value don't match, don't proceed and download again the file until these two values match.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jhotles
Level 1
Level 1

I just went in and DELTED the "NEW" (SE2) version from the "SWITCH:" prompt, no issues. It rebooted taking the old image and I am back up and running. Can someone post the appropriate way to upgrade these 2960 FLEXSTACK SWITCHES from scratch?

Thanks guys..

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
File "flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-58.SE2.bin" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000

IOS for a plain 2960.

c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE7

IOS for a 2960S.

I know why it's not working.  You are forcing a 2960S to load a plain 2960 IOS.

I am suspecting you copied the BIN file of a 2960 into the 2960S instead of using the "archive download-sw".  If you had used the "archive download-sw" to upgrade the IOS of the 2960S, the process would have stopped after the script identifies you're loading the wrong firmware.

Thanks Leo -

Yes, strange and it wouldn't detect my FLASH - I tried the SAME FLASH on a 3560, no problem... Don't know.

Thanks ...

Here is the file I am now going to upgrade with ;

Not related to your issue but still important:  STAY AWAY from this version.  If you really want, upgrade to either 12.2(55)SE8 or 15.0(2)SE4.  Don't even bother with the rest of the versions.

If you have a IOS file with a TAR extension, the command would be:  archive download-sw tftp:///filename.tar

Before you begin with the IOS upgrade make sure you compare the MD5 hash value of the file you've download against the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website.  If the value don't match, don't proceed and download again the file until these two values match.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco