Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS dhcp and multiple vlans

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

hi all,

I have a router with multiple vlans that use the ip helper command. However, i need to define one particular vlan (for wireless option 43) for DHCP option 43. In the IOS of the router i can only define a global DHCP service. Here is my question - will the other vlans that request an IP address with they get the IP address defined on the global IOS defination or continue to use the IP helper IP address?

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

An ip helper forwards the dhcp requests to a dhcp server elsewhere on the network.

Each subnet (=vlan) has a scope there.

Option 43 should be configured only on the scope(s) where you want this option to be added in the response.

Note: You are incorrect in the assumption of certain limitations on the IOS-based dhcp server. You can add multiple dhcp scopes on a router and each scope can have different options.

regards,

Leo

If an ip helper-address is configured on the interface which receives the DHCPDISCOVER packet, the packet will be converted to a unicast packet and sent to your DHCP server configured in the helper address.

If a packet is received on an interface not configured with a helper-address, the router DHCP will process it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card