cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Image Redundancy and Object Groups

packetzen
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning to upgrad our Catalyst 6513's (sup720's) to a newer IOS version, SXI4.  We are upgrading to this version to take advantage of the object grouping feature.

We will have the SXI4 version as the first in the boot order (obviously) but the second ios image will be of our older XF17 version.  The question is, after we edit our ACL's using the object group feature, what would happend to those acl's if we had to reboot to the older version?  Would the acl's still work properly even though the feature is not in the sxf ver?

Thanks!

Tommy

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

packetzen wrote:

We are planning to upgrad our Catalyst 6513's (sup720's) to a newer IOS version, SXI4.  We are upgrading to this version to take advantage of the object grouping feature.

We will have the SXI4 version as the first in the boot order (obviously) but the second ios image will be of our older XF17 version.  The question is, after we edit our ACL's using the object group feature, what would happend to those acl's if we had to reboot to the older version?  Would the acl's still work properly even though the feature is not in the sxf ver?

Thanks!

Tommy

Tommy

I would be surprised if it did work because the older IOS has no understanding of object-groups so it would simply report incorrect syntax. Your acl would not work simply because it can't be understood.

Jon

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking the same, although i did not think those two rev's were that far apart.  It would be nice to have a matrix with ios and release dates.

The only reason this is an issue, is that somehow on our slavebootflash, it only has 65MB of ram.  Where our current sup boot flash has 512MB.  It's very weird.  So we cannot keep a copy of the SXI4 version on that slave boot flash.  (Our primary boot device is off of Disk 0 for eash sup engine.  But we like to be able to boot off of the sup flash if something goes wrong with the compact flash card.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card