Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS level Standarization

dstehle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My customer has multiple WS-C3560V2-48TS-E switches in operation. When purchased, the switches come with different versions of the Cisco IOS. They are considering standardizing on version for all the switches. How can they go about this?

If they have a preferred version on one machine, can they copy it to all the others?

If they need a version that they do not have in hand, can they obtain the preferred version via SMARTnet and then copy to other machines? Or is SMARTnet required for every machine?

They don't purchase SMARTnet as a rule as they typically purchase spares.

Thank you,

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David,

I also found this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a6744.shtml#prereq

I'm going to put my disclaimer out there that the above is for a 2500 series router. I can't find anything on Cisco's current stance on copying files from one device to another, but as it stands with the above link, they're telling you HOW to do it, so I'm assuming they don't care if you update from one device to another.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Technically, yes, they'll need smartnet for all of the devices they want to update in order to be able to download an IOS version they want to standardize to.

HTH,
John

If they have a version they own, can’t they copy it to other devices?

Thanks,

David

David,

Think about it this way. If you have a single copy of Windows installed on a computer, that license is tied to the computer that it's on. You can't copy, or install, the same copy of Windows on every computer in office.

HTH,
John

I see your point. But the IOS has been paid for with each intial purchase, so the analogy is not quite apples to apples.

Is there any documentation on this?

Thanks again - David

You're not going to be able to find documentation on if you can copy one image from one switch to another, but I did find this for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10745/product_bulletin_c25-607000_ps6406_Products_Bulletin.html

Software Policy for Cisco Catalyst 3750-X, Catalyst 3560-X, and Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches

Customers  with Cisco Catalyst LAN Lite, LAN Base, and IP Base software feature  sets will be provided with maintenance updates and bug fixes designed to  maintain the compliance of the software with published specifications,  release notes, and industry-standards compliance as long as the original  end user continues to own or use the product or up to 1 year from the  end-of-sale date for this product, whichever occurs earlier. Customers  with licenses for our premium software images require a service support  contract such as Cisco SMARTnet® Service to download updates.

Q. Where do I access the updates?

A. Customers who purchased a LAN Base or IP Base software license for the  Cisco Catalyst 3750-X or Catalyst 3560-X, or a LAN Lite or LAN Base  software license for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches described  in this notice will be provided with updates as long as the original  end user continues to own or use the product or up to 1 year from the  end-of-sale date for this product, whichever occurs earlier. Updates are  available at the Cisco website at http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/index.shtml by clicking "Downloads" and selecting "Switch Software". To download  software, you will be required to log in using your Cisco.com username  and password. If you do not have a Cisco.com username, you can obtain  one by clicking "Register" at the top of any page on Cisco.com.

HTH,
John

David,

I also found this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a6744.shtml#prereq

I'm going to put my disclaimer out there that the above is for a 2500 series router. I can't find anything on Cisco's current stance on copying files from one device to another, but as it stands with the above link, they're telling you HOW to do it, so I'm assuming they don't care if you update from one device to another.

HTH,
John

Reading the link you sent, I also see:

Components Used

This document is not restricted to specific software and hardware versions. The platforms used for the purpose of this document are Cisco 2500 series routers and Cisco 3600 series routers.

So it looks like copying images is allowed on the 36XX switches as well.

Thanks again for your help.

David

You're welcome!

HTH,
John

Ok, here's where the gray line starts getting very blurry ...

For a start, you will need a valid Service Contract to allow you to download IOS.  Next, you can upgrade from one IOS to another as long as you stay in the same Feature Set, for example IP Base to IP Base even though you are jumping from one IOS version to another.

Finally, if you want a good and stable IOS for your switches, stick with 12.2(55)SE8.  Currently, this version is the newest and the most stable IOS around.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If they have a preferred version on one machine, can they copy it to all the others?

Physically, they can.  Legally, maybe not.  (Also BTW, I would copy image to a TFTP/FTP/RCP server for additional distribution.)

Legally, I recall the original series of 3560/3750 supported lifetime software licenses (i.e. you were always entitled to a newer IOS version, same feature set), but I also recall Cisco has since revoked that license.  (Legally, if you obtained the devices before Cisco changed the license terms, the old license might still apply.)

Legally, I believe Cisco also allows you to downgrade an IOS version, so for your devices having a newer IOS version than desired, you could downgrade them to the older "standard" version.

If the devices are covered by maintenance, you also are, I believe, entitled to any IOS version.

If none of "legal" above applies, then legally you have a problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card