Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS recommendation for 3750X

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently I have a 3750X IOS version 15.02SE and I have run into a bug which causes the switch to reboot when the CPU utilization goes too high. This was because of logging which I had configured on the access lists.

Pretty soon I will need to upgrade the IOS on this switch to resolve this issue but I am not sure which IOS revision is stable, they all seem to have problems. 

Any suggestions?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you don't require 15.x features, 12.2(55)SE7..9 seem pretty stable/solid.

View solution in original post

Strange, the bug you mentioned is marked as new and there's no workaround or fix as of yet.

memory allocation and buffer leaks are really IOS problems so an upgrade would be required.

I can also see the notification "Processor memory utilization is 99.0708%" is that true? why the utilization is that high?

I agree with Joseph though, SE9 is pretty new, if you are more like an old fashion and prefer images already with some time on the road SE8 looks like a pretty good choice, it all depends the features you need for 12 or 15 trend choice.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Renan Abreu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi a00824978.

What is the BUG id?

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply,

I can't find the bug ID in the search toolkit but when I upload the output of the show stacks to the cisco output interpreter, it gave me these details. It doesn't include any bug ID. 

The reason why the CPU went up so high is because of logging that was configured on the access lists. Once the logging was disabled the switch stopped rebooting and the CPU was stable.

Strange, the bug you mentioned is marked as new and there's no workaround or fix as of yet.

memory allocation and buffer leaks are really IOS problems so an upgrade would be required.

I can also see the notification "Processor memory utilization is 99.0708%" is that true? why the utilization is that high?

I agree with Joseph though, SE9 is pretty new, if you are more like an old fashion and prefer images already with some time on the road SE8 looks like a pretty good choice, it all depends the features you need for 12 or 15 trend choice.

Forget about the CPU, I noticed you already answered it.

The thing about version 12 is that I'm not sure about the features we are using. I was thinking of going to the latest revision in the same IOS train, 15.02SE5.

I was thinking of going to the latest revision in the same IOS train, 15.02SE5.

You really, really (no seriously, REALLY!) do not want to run 15.0(2)SE5 unless you are a glutton for punishment and sleepless nights.  

Go with 12.2(55)SE9 as this is, by far, the most stable IOS code for 3750-series family of switches.  If you have to use 15.0 then go with 15.0(2)SE4.  

Thanks for the heads up!

I did the output interpreter again and it showed this as a possible candidate. However this bug is related to Kerberos which we are not using and it is effecting version 12.4(24)T2.

CSCtd44098

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you don't require 15.x features, 12.2(55)SE7..9 seem pretty stable/solid.

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I will keep that in consideration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card