Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IOS to NXOS VPC PORT CHANNEL

Hello

I have a pair of Nexus 5K's in a VPC domain and some 2960's as VPC members, with a port channel to the domain.

Topology is as follows:

5K1 and 5K2 in VPC domain

VPC from 5K1 and 5K2 to 2960

2960 has gi0/1 and gi0/2 in 1 port channel

gi0/1 to 5k1, gi0/2 to 5k2

I know that what I am going to ask may be totally against the purpose of VPC, but, I am looking for a way to favour gi0/1 for traffic, rather than load balancing over gi0/1 and gi0/2. The reaon for this is that I would like to benefit from the lack of loop that VPC provides, but would also like to have a primary and secondary link as the majority of traffic should actually go via 5K1, rather than 5K2.

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Anthony

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Anthony,

The Cisco NX-OS software load balances traffic across all operational interfaces in a portchannel by hashing the addresses in the frame to a numerical value that selects one of the links in the channel. Port channels provide load balancing by default. Port-channel load-balancing uses MAC addresses, IP addresses, or Layer 4 port numbers to select the link. Port-channel load balancing uses either source or destination addresses or ports, or both source and destination addresses or ports.

You can configure the load-balancing mode to apply to all port channels that are configured on the entire device or on specified modules. The per-module configuration takes precedence over the load-balancing configuration for the entire device. You can configure one load-balancing mode for the entire device, a different mode for specified

modules, and another mode for the other specified modules. You cannot configure the load-balancing method per port channel.

You can configure the type of load-balancing algorithm used. You can choose the load-balancing algorithm that determines which member port to select for egress traffic by looking at the fields in the frame.

Note:  The default load-balancing mode for Layer 3 interfaces is the source and destination IP address, and the default load-balancing mode for non-IP interfaces is the source and destination MAC address.

From the config mode you can try different load-balacing method ,

port-channel load-balance {dest-ip-port | dest-ip-port-vlan |

destination-ip-vlan | destination-mac | destination-port | source-dest-ip-port | source-dest-ip-port-vlan | source-dest-ip-vlan | source-dest-mac | source-dest-port | source-ip-port | source-ip-port-vlan | source-ip-vlan | source-mac | source-port} [module-number]

To Summarize: I cannot say which port would be selected, it purely depends on type of frame you are sending with the combination of the load-balance method.

After tweaking you can also know from the command which link the traffic is taking,

NEXUS2-SPAN# show port-channel load-balance forwarding-path interface port-channel 71 src-ip 1.1.1.1 dst-ip 2.2.2.2 vlan 51 module 2

Module 2: Missing params will be substituted by 0's.

Load-balance Algorithm: src-dst ip-l4port

RBH: 0xb0       Outgoing port id: Ethernet8/8

we can also try tweaking the same load-balancing on the 2960 also. It purely depends on the load-balancing algorithm. Below is for 2960 Load-balancing tweaking,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swethchl.html

Even after doing this i wouldnt say 100% it would select one link.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Richard.

*Rate if this is useful

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Anthony,

The Cisco NX-OS software load balances traffic across all operational interfaces in a portchannel by hashing the addresses in the frame to a numerical value that selects one of the links in the channel. Port channels provide load balancing by default. Port-channel load-balancing uses MAC addresses, IP addresses, or Layer 4 port numbers to select the link. Port-channel load balancing uses either source or destination addresses or ports, or both source and destination addresses or ports.

You can configure the load-balancing mode to apply to all port channels that are configured on the entire device or on specified modules. The per-module configuration takes precedence over the load-balancing configuration for the entire device. You can configure one load-balancing mode for the entire device, a different mode for specified

modules, and another mode for the other specified modules. You cannot configure the load-balancing method per port channel.

You can configure the type of load-balancing algorithm used. You can choose the load-balancing algorithm that determines which member port to select for egress traffic by looking at the fields in the frame.

Note:  The default load-balancing mode for Layer 3 interfaces is the source and destination IP address, and the default load-balancing mode for non-IP interfaces is the source and destination MAC address.

From the config mode you can try different load-balacing method ,

port-channel load-balance {dest-ip-port | dest-ip-port-vlan |

destination-ip-vlan | destination-mac | destination-port | source-dest-ip-port | source-dest-ip-port-vlan | source-dest-ip-vlan | source-dest-mac | source-dest-port | source-ip-port | source-ip-port-vlan | source-ip-vlan | source-mac | source-port} [module-number]

To Summarize: I cannot say which port would be selected, it purely depends on type of frame you are sending with the combination of the load-balance method.

After tweaking you can also know from the command which link the traffic is taking,

NEXUS2-SPAN# show port-channel load-balance forwarding-path interface port-channel 71 src-ip 1.1.1.1 dst-ip 2.2.2.2 vlan 51 module 2

Module 2: Missing params will be substituted by 0's.

Load-balance Algorithm: src-dst ip-l4port

RBH: 0xb0       Outgoing port id: Ethernet8/8

we can also try tweaking the same load-balancing on the 2960 also. It purely depends on the load-balancing algorithm. Below is for 2960 Load-balancing tweaking,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swethchl.html

Even after doing this i wouldnt say 100% it would select one link.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Richard.

*Rate if this is useful

Thanks Richard

I really appreciate the detailed reply and it is very useful! It does confirm suspicion that being able to 100% for traffic over one link is not really possible. I guess the best method here will be spanning tree, but, trying to avoid it ;-)

Thanks

Anthony

Views
Helpful
Replies