Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgradation for 4506

vishalpatil86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 4506e core switch to which 10 other 2960 switches are connected.

I want to upgrade thier IOS. how can upgrade it, can I upgrade it one by one or all at a time?

Is there any tool to perform this task?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to upgrade thier IOS.

Getting confused here.

What are you trying to upgrade?  All your 2960?  4506?  ALL?

Sorry dude, but if you have ten 2960 and a 4506 that brings it to eleven appliance.  You don't need a tool for that.  All you need is one line of command and you're good to go.

FYI:  I have >600 switches in my network and I can upgrade (using CLI only) the IOS of all my switch in a week.  No tools.  Just CLI.

View solution in original post

Hi Vishal,

You can do it one by one as such for all the 11 switches in the network. No need to go for any tool to do that. If your SNMP tool that supports configuration assistance. You can perform using that as well simultaneously. But core device which all the 2960 switches connected should not be done parallely on the same time. Since all the 2960 connectviity depends on the 4506 core.

You can do one by one. I prefer you to do that with the CLI.

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to upgrade thier IOS.

Getting confused here.

What are you trying to upgrade?  All your 2960?  4506?  ALL?

Sorry dude, but if you have ten 2960 and a 4506 that brings it to eleven appliance.  You don't need a tool for that.  All you need is one line of command and you're good to go.

FYI:  I have >600 switches in my network and I can upgrade (using CLI only) the IOS of all my switch in a week.  No tools.  Just CLI.

Hi Vishal,

You can do it one by one as such for all the 11 switches in the network. No need to go for any tool to do that. If your SNMP tool that supports configuration assistance. You can perform using that as well simultaneously. But core device which all the 2960 switches connected should not be done parallely on the same time. Since all the 2960 connectviity depends on the 4506 core.

You can do one by one. I prefer you to do that with the CLI.

By

Karthik

hi ,

thanks for the reply... one more doubt is if I upgrade 2960 to newer version, then is there any possibility of version mismatch error between core and 2960 switch? and shall i go ahead with core or 2960 first?

Hi vishal,

There should not be any such problems. Go through the release notes of the specific IOS version to be upgraded as a best practice.

You can do anyway. Its good to go by 1st upgrading the 2960 access switches first. So when you upgrade the 1st switch itself you will come to know about the outcome. So that you can perform without any hesitation. Then finally do with your core.

Make sure that you do a right ios upgrade on the devices. Always keep the existing ios if feasible and put the new IOS and change the boot priority to the new IOS. So that it will be easy for reverting incase of any issue.

By

Karthik

one more doubt is if I upgrade 2960 to newer version, then is there any possibility of version mismatch error between core and 2960 switch?

Hold on.  EXACTLY what are the model of your switches?  2960, 2960G or 2960S?

If you have 2960S then all the switch should be the same IOS and the same feature set.

dear leo,

its  WS-C2960-48TC-L and  WS-C2960-48PC-L

Then it's OK. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: