Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

Hi all,

i'm trying to find information about the licesing of ios package.

I need to upgrade a C2911 from 15.1 to 15.2, the router have a permanent uc license, will be that license permanent also after the upgrade?

I'm not able to find documentation about when the license need to be reissued after an upgrade or not. I know that for maintenance release upgrade there are not problems but i'm not sure about minor upgrade.

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

I need to upgrade a C2911 from 15.1 to 15.2, the router have a permanent uc license, will be that license permanent also after the upgrade?

Yes.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

Yes.

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

Hi leolaohoo,

do you know where it is possibile to find documentation about licensing and upgrade?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

Your licensing won't change because the IOS file is "universal".  What changes the license is a license key and this is stored somewhere else. 

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

I found some documentation and it is always mentioned that the maintenance release do not need a software license

http://www.cisco.com/assets/cdc_content_elements/flash/ios/csa/csa_introduction.htm

end of part 6 of 9 it say specifically that maintenance upgrade don't need a new license

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985.html

"However, migrating software images from one release to another (e.g. from 15.0(1)T to 15.0(2)T) does not require a new license."

Also, the training in the first link say that the UDI, associated with license, contains the router version information. So changing the IOS will change the UDI that will invalidated the license. What is not specifically written is what part of the version information contains the UDI: major? minor?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

I upgraded our 2921 from 15.0 to 15.1M and I still retain my license.

ios upgrade 15.1 to 15.2

Oh thx, this is a good information. There are so many documents and no one that explain well the upgrade process and when a new license is needed! I suppose only for major upgrade.

Views
Helpful
Replies