Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade Error

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Hi:

I keep getting this error message when I try to do an FTP of an IOS from my laptop to a 7609.

I have done this for 3 other routers onsite without problems. Now I get this:

NC-CLTW1-CIS-7609-2#copy ftp://test:test@173.100.16.18/c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD1.bin sup-bootdisk:

Destination filename [c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD1.bin]?

Accessing ftp://test:test@173.100.16.18/c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD1.bin...

Loading c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD1.bin !

%Error opening sup-bootdisk:/c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD1.bin (File not found)

NC-CLTW1-CIS-7609-2#

What do they mean by "%Error opening sup-bootdisk:/c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD1.bin (File not found)"

The file is not supposed to be "found" in that directory. I am downloading the file TO that directory. Its just seems like a stupid error message that is very uninformative.

The file transfer starts and then the router kills the session. That is what my FTP program's log is showing. And if you notice, there is one exclamation point before it dies.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Personally, I have never done it with ftp://test:test@173.100.16.18/. I will put the following command first

ip ftp username test

ip ftp password test

ip ftp passive

ip ftp source-interface lo0

Then I do

copy ftp://x.x.x.x/ sup-bootdisk:

HTH,

jerry

Hi, Jerry.

Thats not it.

I have downloadsed code on 3 other routers, at the same site, and running the same version of IOS, using this exact command.

The problem is not one of reachability or authentication. The router can reach my laptop and talk to the ftp server. The file even begins downloading. Then the router kills it with that error message.

Thanks

Hello Joe, Jerry,

The fact that the first exclamation mark appears confirms that the FTP access works fine. However, it seems that the router has problems creating and subsequently opening the file on the sup-bootdisk: filesystem.

Joe, can you confirm you have enough free space on the sup-bootdisk:? Also, is it possible that it has become somehow corrupted? Is there a 'squeeze' operation available for that filesystem? If yes, try to run it. Also, if you can afford to try to reformat that filesystem, I would suggest trying it and downloading the IOS then.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi, Peter:

Yes, plenty of space.

I was thinking the same thing regarding a refomat.

I may try squeeze....dont know.

It seems, as you say, that it could not allocate the memory space to accept the file....just a guess...

Thanks

Hello Joe,

Try that 'squeeze' and if it doesn't help and no one here comes with a better idea, try to reformat the filesystem.

And please let us know what was the result, okay?

Best regards,

Peter

Reformat the file system.

why copy to sup-bootdisk:?

I copy on disk1: or disk2: or slot1:, slot2: depending on the supervisor type and where the flash card is.

Might be a system without any disks :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card