cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade on 4948 - IP Base to Enterprise?

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

I am in the process of upgrading our 4948 switches because I will be running BGP on them. In order to do this I need to upgrade to Enterprise IOS. However, I just upgraded one and noticed my management interface is no longer there? In the config is shows up as FastEthernet 1 but when I do a show run with the new IOS I no longer see it available? I really like this feature for management instead of having a separate loopback IP for management purposes. Is there an IOS that still allows this? Anyone else run into this problem? What can I do?

3 Replies 3

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

I think I answered my own question.

I just took one of my other switches and looked at some of the routing commands and BGP is in the ip base.

I was told by the SE that I needed to upgrade to an enterprise IOS...hmmm...wonder if this was just a sales thing to sell something more.

Sorry for the bogus post.

Rick

I am not an expert in the 4948 and can not speak authoritatively about its software. But I do know that in router IOS that it is a very recent change that BGP is supported in IP Base (and I suspect that it is also a very recent change for the 4948). For a long time I was telling customers that to get BGP support they would need to upgrade the feature set from IP Base. I think that this was more the SE reacting from habit (or perhaps that they had just missed the note about this change in the feature set).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick!

I had not known they added this feature. This would have been nice to know when they sold me the goods!!!

Oh well it's all good now...now I just need to get one of them out of rommon...grrrr...maybe I should call the SE and make him do it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: