Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade on a 3750G stack of switches

gene.uhl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to upgrade the IOS on a stack of 4 3750G's that I have. Is this upgrade only on the primary switch in the stack, or do I need to do all of them. They are connected via stacking cables.

Are there any gotcha's I should look out for?

thanks

gene

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Since all three switches had the same IOS and the same bootloader, I did not concern over the reboot sequence, I just cycled the power on all three.

I used the same IOS on all three, my stack consisted of two 24 port gigabit switches and one 48 port PoE switch.

One of the 24 port switches is the master, but I did not take any special precaution to reboot.

View solution in original post

I have done quite some upgrades and always used "archive download-sw /overwrite " command and have not had any issues. It takes care of setting the boot statement correctly, it removes older code from flash devices and makes sure that the code is in the flash of all the switches.

HTH.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Nope, thanks. I will give it a try. Any known gotchas or pitfall insight would be appreciated. I will obviously backup my configs and the old FW before I attempt this as this is a distrubution layer stack. Thanks for any further insight.

Gene

Just as an addition to the document that Jon provided,

I recently did an upgrade of three stacked 3750's, had never done it before and was concerned about the gotchas as well.

I read all the posts and saw that there were a lot of them that had problems when trying to do the automatic upgrade from master switch.

For this reason, I went with the manual upgrade of all three switches separately and had no problem at all.

The same IOS worked for any hardware scenario.

I loaded the image on all three and changed the bootloader on all three members of the stack and everything was fine.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. So, when you change the code on all of them, what is the reboot sequence??? All 3 at the same time? Master first, then the rest of the stack, Master, then 1 at a time as you go down the stack, etc.

Thanks again for the gotcha!!!!

Gene

Since all three switches had the same IOS and the same bootloader, I did not concern over the reboot sequence, I just cycled the power on all three.

I used the same IOS on all three, my stack consisted of two 24 port gigabit switches and one 48 port PoE switch.

One of the 24 port switches is the master, but I did not take any special precaution to reboot.

I have done quite some upgrades and always used "archive download-sw /overwrite " command and have not had any issues. It takes care of setting the boot statement correctly, it removes older code from flash devices and makes sure that the code is in the flash of all the switches.

HTH.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco