Helpful
Replies

ios upgrading error

Srinivas N
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Please help me on below problem,

I up graded ios for cisco 2960 (up graded flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-1.SE3.bin)

and switch also running up after reload also,

I checked the show boot and sh verson.. everyting is fine.

But while verify the flash it is showing error message.. like below.

verify flash

GUESTFLOOR-6_SW_2960#verify flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-1.SE3.bin

File system hash verification failed for file flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-1.SE3

.bin(No such file or directory).

verify md5/

GUESTFLOOR-5_SW_2960#verify /md5 flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-1.SE3.bin

................................................................................

................................................................................

.................................................................................

..........................................................Done!

verify /md5 (flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-1.SE3.bin) = d27aba0a2e2094f07ff5a5d71

1bb0fed

That ios is downloaded from cisco site only,

Plz tel me the solution how to overcome this problem....

Thanks,

Srinivas.N.

Thanks & Regards, Srinivas. N.
1 Reply 1

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The reason for this behavior is that "verify" command without /md5 parameter is not supported on 2960.

The initial implementation of the 'verify' command worked by running a  checksum against the IOS image and comparing it with a flash checksum  stored within the image.

This ability was only supported on certain  platforms, and has never been supported for the desktop series switches  (3750/3560/3550/2960/etc). The 'verify' command was later broadened to  support additional devices which did not contain the flash checksum  within the IOS image. This was accomplished by adding the /MD5 option to compute an MD5 checksum hash of the image stored in flash.  On platforms supporting the 'verify' command, the MD5 hash would also be compared  with one inside the IOS image.

While it possible to run the command on these switches, the output was not reliable due to the fact that the desktop  switches didn't an internal checksum within the image itself. Therefore, for reliable verification, you should use /md5 parameter and compare the resulting checksum with the one you see on CCO for your image.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card