cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address problem..

tahir1234
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 usable IP addresses(static) from my ISP. I want to use 8 devices inside of my LAN. I have linksys for LAN. Give me suggession

1-Should buy cisco router to get 3 more IP address OR

2-Request more IP's from ISP.

What is possible and cheap.

If router is suitable, what model of Cisco and how to set it up.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have 5 public addresses. You probably only need to use one, and then you can use a private addressing scheme on the inside. You wouldn't need to get more addresses.

The private addressing is like:

192.168.x.x

You would configure NAT, and this translates private IP addresses to public addresses.

You should look at an ASA or Cisco 800 series routers. Depending on what your needs are, either one of these should do fine.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks John for your reply. Because I am not network person so need some clearity on this point. I will allocate one Public IP to my router and then enable NAT on router and then all 8 users will be able to go on internet at the same time. As my understand. On the other hand can I also purchase more IP for my LAN. These are all public IP's and I will have to pay.

Thanks for reply.

You should evaluate your options before purchasing a ton of addresses. What services will you be offering to the public? If you're going to be hosting websites for customers, you'd need several public addresses, but if you're going to be hosting servers inside of your office for your own purpose, many times you can NAT the traffic to different servers like:

public IP 5.5.5.5 --> private IP 192.168.1.50 on port 25 (mail server)

public IP 5.5.5.5 --> private IP 192.168.1.50 on port 80 (web server)

public IP 5.5.5.5 --> private IP 192.168.1.50 on port 21 (ftp server)

Private IP 192.168.1.50 is only open on ports 21,25, and 80, which would be a web server. You wouldn't necessarily need many public IP addresses to do this. You can even port forward to different servers, same public IP, but to different internal servers like:

public IP 5.5.5.5 on 80 --> private IP 192.168.1.50 on port 80 (web server)

public IP 5.5.5.5 on 21 --> private IP 192.168.1.200 on port 21 (ftp server)

HTH,

John

Thanks John. Can I use Cisco 2600 router for LAN while I have 5 public IP's from my ISP and I am going to use 8 devices (users) in business.

A 2600 should work fine for what you're wanting to do. :-)

HTH,

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: