Views
Helpful
Replies

ip address

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi!

i've a media streaming server that require 6 multicast address in our LAN. What would be the range of multicast ip address to be used in this case? The routers are turned on with ip multicast enabled command. what's the most suitable range of ip to be used? thanks.

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi!

i've a media streaming server that require 6 multicast address in our LAN. What would be the range of multicast ip address to be used in this case? The routers are turned on with ip multicast enabled command. what's the most suitable range of ip to be used? thanks.

Hi,

Multicas range as reserved by IANA is 224.0.0.0 through 239.255.255.255, Genrally for using mulitcast ip address make use from 239.0.0.1 onwards and for more details on multicast ip addres and well known reserved address in mulitcast range check out the below link.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses/

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

hi! what's the normal mask used for this case...is it /16? if i would to use eg. 239.255.80.1-6/16. do i need to configure a route in my ospf configuration just like my normal netowrk?

thanks.

hi! Anyone has any answer to my question above? thanks.

dkblee@hotmail.com

hi! what's the normal mask used for this case...is it /16? if i would to use eg. 239.255.80.1-6/16. do i need to configure a route in my ospf configuration just like my normal netowrk?

thanks.

Multicast addresses do not use subnet masks in the same way unicast addresses do. Think of multicast addresses less as an IP address and more as a group identifier.

You shouldn't need to configure specific routes because once you enable ip multicast routing then the multicast routing protocol, usually PIM, will exchange multicast routes between the routers.

Cisco is currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Jon

thanks.

Hi,

As Jon said Muliticast ip don not require any mask these ip will be cofnigured in you muliticast server and client and unicast ip address of the server should be reachble to all clients in your network.Mulitcast routing will take care for reachablity via using via PIM sparse or dense mode.

Check out the below link for multicast routing configuration  in router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/1cfmulti.html

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card