Views
Helpful
Replies

ip camera macs disappearing on switch ports

bmarms
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All:

i'm having an issue with some ip cameras we have deployed on our network. it seems that every so often we get a few that go "offline" and can no longer communicate with them. the switch (3550-24PWR) interface shows a physical connection, but the cameras mac does not show when issuing the sh mac-address-table interface command. if i restart the camera, all is well. is there any reason a mac would "disappear" from an interface. i do not have port-security enabled. thanks.

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brandon

"is there any reason a mac would "disappear" from an interface. i do not have port-security enabled."

Yes, if the switch times out the mac-address entry because of no communication between the ip camera and the rest of the network.

When you restart the camera it probably has to communicate with the network and so the switch has the mac-address again.

However if you pinged the IP address of the camera this should reenter the mac-address into the CAM table on the switch.

Jon

"However if you pinged the IP address of the camera this should reenter the mac-address into the CAM table on the switch."

i thought so as well, but that does not work. i have to reboot the cameras. is there anything else that can be done? can i change the CAM timeout value for the ip camera MACs?

Brandon

To prove whether or not it is a mac-address issue you could pick one of the cameras giving you problems and have a static mac-address entry on the switch -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.2_25_see/command/reference/cli1.html#wp2002381

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: