Views
Helpful
Replies

IP DHCP Helper Server

damiranz20
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sir,

As per my attached Network Diagram. Im Planning to separate my DHCP Server and Upgrade from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2k8.

My IP helper Address 192.168.1.3 is configured in my Cisco Core Switch 6500 Series 192.168.1.1 as a gateway.  (Inter VLAN Routing)

I want to separate the DNS & AD in one Server  & One Server computer for DHCP Server 2008 or 2012 Which capable of Mac Address Filtering(because Windows Server 2003 there's no available feature for MAC Address Filtering of Users)

If I will install DHCP server with IP Address of 192.168.1.4 should I need to change the IP Helper Address to that IP.

What will be the possible error and solution? Thank you.

Michael

Network Diagram.jpg

1 Reply 1

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Since you're going to be separating your DHCP Server, if the IP address changes, and the users sending out DHCP broadcast messages are not in the same local subnet as the DHCP server, than yes you will need to configure an 'ip helper-address x.x.x.x' statement.

So if you're changing it from 192.168.1.3 to youre nw server at 192.168.1.4 (If that's correct) then yes you will need to change it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card