cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip dhcp relay and mac access-list on Nexus

adenter
Level 1
Level 1

Running NXOS 4.2(3) on 7K x2 with hsrp between the two each has two identical VDC.

VLAN 162 supports a network with a /23 DHCP scope.  VLAN interfaces both have 'ip dhcp relay address X.X.X.X' configured.

Current scope exhausted and looking for a short term fix to limit devices based on vendor mac addresses.  (WIFI network)

Created port based mac access-lists and applied to physical ports that connect to WLC.  Added mac packet-classify.

This works to block the vendor macs I targeted from communicating only after they get an IP address.  It doesn't stop them from getting an IP address initially.  Manual client exclusion is a pain on the WLC.

I think the DHCP RELAY process must be served before the access-list is inspected. 

Has anyone else run into this or can think of a work-around?

oh, I couldn't get vlan filter to work either.

1 Reply 1

Ian Jay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adam,

Can you be a little clearer on the symptoms you are seeing? Is DHCP succeeding and IP being blocked? Or is the ACL not working at all?

DHCP packets should be blocked as they are non-IP packets. Using MAC ACL with the packet classify disabled should block DHCP and allow you to preserve your scoped addresses.

The only other option would be MAB, but this is not a short term solution.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/security/configuration/guide/Cisco_Nexus_7000_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide__Release_4.2_chapter13.html

/ijay

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card