cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip directed broadcast to an interface secondary address

riccobene
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new network going in place that's going to coexist with an existing network as a secondary IP address on the interface.  We have an application that uses broadcast to communicate.  I configured "ip directed broadcast" but it hasn't been working.  Is this possible to do with a secondary address?  Interface configuration is below:

interface Vlan108
 description users
 ip address 192.168.0.13 255.255.255.0 secondary
 ip address 10.61.8.1 255.255.255.0
 ip helper-address 10.61.1.26
 ip directed-broadcast
end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see a problem in this config. If a packet with destination address of 192.168.0.255 gets to the interface then I would expect that it would be sent out into the vlan as a local broadcast. Note that this broadcast would also be seen by host in the 10.68.8 network. Are you sure that packets for 192.168.0.255 are getting to the interface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not see a problem in this config. If a packet with destination address of 192.168.0.255 gets to the interface then I would expect that it would be sent out into the vlan as a local broadcast. Note that this broadcast would also be seen by host in the 10.68.8 network. Are you sure that packets for 192.168.0.255 are getting to the interface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This is correctly working, I was unsure if this worked on an interface with secondary and it definitely does.  Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card