cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP discovery utility for SGE2000 24-port switch?

DDSINATLGA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was handed two SGE2000 24-port 10/100/1000 switches.  The default IP address does not work on either of them.  Short of doing a hardware reset, is there an IP discovery utility that I can run.

If no utility, any suggestions how I can find the IP?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Dennis Svela wrote:

Hello,

I was handed two SGE2000 24-port 10/100/1000 switches.  The default IP address does not work on either of them.  Short of doing a hardware reset, is there an IP discovery utility that I can run.

Thanks.

Connect a PC with Wireshark on it and look at the packet captures?

I'm not really familiar with this kind of switch - but have you tried plugging into the console port and examining the configuration? The documentation on Cisco's web site indicates it's got a console port, so try plugging a serial terminal into it and see what you get. Documentation indicates that, unlike most Cisco switches, the console port on this runs at 115200/8n1 with no flow control instead of the usual 9600/8n1.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Dennis Svela wrote:

Please disregard my last post.  Figured it out.  I was trying to use a different serial cable.  The one I used that worked must have come with the switch.  Looking back on the days using serial cables there were a lot of variables with serial pin outs.  Works fine with the first cable I used.

Thanks anyway.

Cisco switches and routers use a proprietary cable for the console port - a normal serial cable usually won't work.

Which is why they include one with every switch/router - so if you do a large scale deployment, you end up with dozens fo the things. :-)

Glad to help. Please mark your question answered so future people looking for something similar will know they can look here!

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Dennis Svela wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Connect a PC with Wireshark on it and look at the packet captures?

I'm not really familiar with this kind of switch - but have you tried plugging into the console port and examining the configuration? The documentation on Cisco's web site indicates it's got a console port, so try plugging a serial terminal into it and see what you get. Documentation indicates that, unlike most Cisco switches, the console port on this runs at 115200/8n1 with no flow control instead of the usual 9600/8n1.

Cheers.

Thanks much Darren!  I tried the console port yesterday, but at 9600/8n1 Hardware.  115200/8n1 no flow control did the trick.

Much appreciate the tip.

Regards.

Since that worked on a non production switch I want to do the same on one that is in production - don't have the IP for it either.  On the non production switch, I powered it up after setting up hyper terminal and everything scrolled by and I was able to log in.

For the production switch, in hyper terminal do you how to get it's attention to log in?  Using the same parmeters.  Been so long since I used hyper terminal.  Tried enter twice, ctrl enter, etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Please disregard my last post.  Figured it out.  I was trying to use a different serial cable.  The one I used that worked must have come with the switch.  Looking back on the days using serial cables there were a lot of variables with serial pin outs.  Works fine with the first cable I used.

Thanks anyway.

Dennis Svela wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Cisco switches and routers use a proprietary cable for the console port - a normal serial cable usually won't work.

Which is why they include one with every switch/router - so if you do a large scale deployment, you end up with dozens fo the things. :-)

Glad to help. Please mark your question answered so future people looking for something similar will know they can look here!

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card