cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip dns server: how to redirect unwanted domains ? ... eg: rad.msn.com -> 10.10.10.10

nlariguet
Level 1
Level 1

ip dns server ... I have the DNS server configured as follows:

ip dns server view-group dnsVLcustom

ip dns view-list dnsVLcustom
view dnsVcustom 1

ip dns view dnsVcustom
no domain lookup
dns forwarding
dns forwarder 208.67.222.222
dns forwarder 208.67.220.220

... is there a way to set something like this ?

rad.msn.com ---> n.n.n.n
spam.whatever.com ---> n.n.n.n
ads.whatever.com ---> n.n.n.n

... ie: don't forward for these domains, just return n.n.n.n

My current config has all those unwanted sites filtered by the incoming ACL but they are hard-coded by their IP addresses.

Problem is I am adding more unwanted domains and the ACL is getting bigger and (I presume) this will slow down everything -not to mention I can't be aware of IP changes.

It would be really good to have just one IP on this ACL for unwanted traffic stopping it right after entering the routers instead of a cumbersome hard-coded ACL.

Any suggestion ?

3 Replies 3

Eugene Khabarov
Level 7
Level 7

Hmmm.. you can use this for example

ip host spam.whatever.com n.n.n.n
but i think this is not good idea to block one ip with acl and use dns entries for filtering.

Try to use ip urlfilter:

ip urlfilter exclusive-domain deny spam.whatever.com

Please rate if this helps,

Eugene.

thanks for you answer !

Although what you proposed is not exactly what I have in mind it is another open option which I'm glad you mentioned since I completely forgot the firewall options on IOS beacuse I am also running a PIX here.

The way you put it I can filter domains without having to put specific IPs on my incoming ACLs but it won't deny traffic directed to those IPs if the offending application (eg: read it MSN Messenger) is using those IPs directly and not a url such as whatever.rad.msn.com am I right ?

And if I was a spammer I will never use a url in the first place, I'll go directly to the servers by their IPs once I learned where to reach them.

Now if there is a way to intercept those DNS requests and/or answer those requests with any chosen IP ...

You're right, spam bot will go directly by ip-address. It will not make DNS-queries. So you need to do standard acl filtering for this purpose.

Please rate if this helps.

Eugene.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card