Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IP forwarding to 2 destinations

Dear all,

I need your point of view on a customer request.

I have aclient connected to f0/1 of a router which sends UDP packets to a server connected on the F0/0 of the same router..

My customer would like to have these UDP packets on 2 servers. One locally and the other one is remote. We can't use Multicast routing.

Here is a solution in the router configuration to allow this kind of request.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jean-Yves

• LAN Switching and Routing
Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Jean-Yves

I'm not sure there is going to be a way to do this as the router treats the packet as a unicast packet so it will not create a second copy of it.

The only solutions i can think of are -

1) configure the source to send the packets to both destinations

or

2) use multicast which i appreciate you have already said they don't want to do but this is precisely what multicast was designed to do.

Jon

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Jean-Yves

I'm not sure there is going to be a way to do this as the router treats the packet as a unicast packet so it will not create a second copy of it.

The only solutions i can think of are -

1) configure the source to send the packets to both destinations

or

2) use multicast which i appreciate you have already said they don't want to do but this is precisely what multicast was designed to do.

Jon

Thanks jon for your answer, this is what I think, I will suggest to make a GRE tunnel to the second server to allow multicast without routing it on all routers.

Br,

Jean-Yves

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.