Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip helper address help

Hi

i created a new vlan and added a ip helper-address command. the ip in the helper-address will be my primary dhcp server, but i have my secondary dhcp server how do i add this in the configuration give another ip helper-address to the vlan and how do i mention that one is primary and another is secondary

interface Vlan205
  ip address 172.25.5.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 172.25.1.5
end

the idea is one dhcp server goes down it has to go to the other dhcp server

please let me know you suggestions

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You just add another line. You can't define primary or secondary. It's just going to take whichever responds first.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to expand on John's answer. You don't have a primary and secondary, they are both used. So you need to make sure that each DHCP server is not handing out the same addresses eg.

192.168.5.0/24 subnet. You would split this between the 2 DHCP servers by splitting it in half eg.

192.168.5.0/25 on DHCP server 1

192.168.5.128/25 on DHCP server 2

Whichever DHCP responds first is generally the one used which is not an issue if you split the scopes correctly.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You just add another line. You can't define primary or secondary. It's just going to take whichever responds first.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to expand on John's answer. You don't have a primary and secondary, they are both used. So you need to make sure that each DHCP server is not handing out the same addresses eg.

192.168.5.0/24 subnet. You would split this between the 2 DHCP servers by splitting it in half eg.

192.168.5.0/25 on DHCP server 1

192.168.5.128/25 on DHCP server 2

Whichever DHCP responds first is generally the one used which is not an issue if you split the scopes correctly.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card