Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Identification filed = 0 in TCP packet

hetao1601
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,all

In my production network, some server is placed behind load-balance devices(array) and a firewall. With sniffer, I found the servers sent many packetw with IP Identification field is 0, Does these packets are correct packets?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

shrikar.dange
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I am not sure on this, correct me if I am wrong.In my opinion the identifier is only used in case of fragmentation.If the packet is sent unfragmented then that field will be zeros.Right?

regards,

shri :)

Identification field is used for proper reassembly of the fragmented IP datagrams. The source host must put a unique value in this field before transmitting the IP datagram, even if it not fragmented. If this IP datagram happens to be fragmented by a router in the path (due to a smaller MTU), then this number is copied into all the fragments of the original IP datagram. The receiving host uses this number to identify the fragments of this IP datagram to reassemble and get the original IP datagram.

Read RFC 791 for more information.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you,

Mohan

Thanks you, Shrikar

Does anyone know shri's right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: