Helpful
Replies

IP or Voice

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Guys,

Need your help for personal decision,

I am working in Data field from last 8+ years and i am pure IP guy. Really don't know much about voice.

I recently joined one firm where I have exposure to both IP (MPLS,ATM,FR) and Voice (NGN)

If I rate myself for IP i am 7-8/out of 10. I want to learn more over IP, But I feel if i concentrate on voice i will

not able to give more time to IP part and cannot increase my confidence level.

For voice i am very much new. I have to work for atleast 2-3 years to be familiar with all stuff. I also want to know

market trend for voice. If i learn voice will it be useful to me in furture (may be my thinking is wrong)

I don't know what to do. Please put some advise. I hope people will help me to decide/or to refresh my thought

Regards

Mahesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh

I faced a similiar decision a while back. I had a chance to get more heavily involved with voice and i put some serious thought into it as i think there is no doubt voice is a very useful skill to have ie. when i look at the number of jobs here in the UK that ask for voice knowledge there are an awful lot.

Problem was, and i mean no offense to any voice guys reading this , my interests lay elsewhere. I just didn't find it that interesting and it certainly didn't grab my attention in the same way MPLS, for example, did. I am a firm believer in that you should concentrate on what interests you, although obviously if you happen to find token ring and ISDN the most interesting things, you may need to reevaluate as there is not a lot of call for those skills these days.

If you want to learn more IP then i think you have already answered your own question. Undoubtedly voice would make you more marketable for certain jobs but if your heart is not in it then networking will become a chore rather than, hopefully, something you currently enjoy.

Having said that, and in true Cisco legalese, "i am in no way responsible if it so happens that in a years time the only jobs available are voice ones"

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mahesh

I faced a similiar decision a while back. I had a chance to get more heavily involved with voice and i put some serious thought into it as i think there is no doubt voice is a very useful skill to have ie. when i look at the number of jobs here in the UK that ask for voice knowledge there are an awful lot.

Problem was, and i mean no offense to any voice guys reading this , my interests lay elsewhere. I just didn't find it that interesting and it certainly didn't grab my attention in the same way MPLS, for example, did. I am a firm believer in that you should concentrate on what interests you, although obviously if you happen to find token ring and ISDN the most interesting things, you may need to reevaluate as there is not a lot of call for those skills these days.

If you want to learn more IP then i think you have already answered your own question. Undoubtedly voice would make you more marketable for certain jobs but if your heart is not in it then networking will become a chore rather than, hopefully, something you currently enjoy.

Having said that, and in true Cisco legalese, "i am in no way responsible if it so happens that in a years time the only jobs available are voice ones"

Jon

Thanks jon for sharing your views.

I am in similar dilemma as if i ignore voice today,tomorrow it should not like i have to struggle

it with the current running technology (similar thing with token-ring/fr/atm)

Regards

Mahesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card