Helpful
Replies

ip ospf cost and hsrp

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

HI

I have a layer 2 topology with just core to access

I have 2 cores (ie Core1-Core2) running hsrp and ospf. The root for all VLANs, hsrp primary, and lowest ospf cost is on Core1.

I just want to confirm that this is correct design in regards to ospf cost. I have seen another topology whereby the ospf cost on each vlan interface is the same. In my case the ospf cost is only configured on Core2 as a cost=200.

TIA

2 Replies 2

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Prefer using priority with HSRP instead of playing with ospf cost.

Let cost be a factor in traffic routing decisions. With HSRP, priority is the factor in deciding primary device.

Anthony

I agree with the previous post that arranging HSRP primary and standby is one issue and OSPF relationship is another and separate issue. HSRP will determine which of the cores will receive packets and forward to other destinations. OSPF cost determines OSPF relationship to other external routers (on other subnets). If you want to make sure that your HSRP active router is the DR (which seems to be what you are implying) then manipulate OSPF priority and not the OSPF cost. I do not see anything in your description that would lead to changing the OSPF cost on any interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card