Helpful
Replies

ip phone , what are the reasons ?

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I have few quesions:

I just got a part-time job at Pizza Hut.

During my training, i was told there were 10 pizza huts owned by same owner.

I saw cisco ip 2811 phones are being used at my work. Then i also happened to see cisco ip phone at hospitals .

i understand the voip concept but i don't know how could it be cost effective for bussiness such as Pizza hut to use ip phone than traditional phone?

thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sarah,

As others have stated there are savings on inter-company calls via VoIP but the greater savings come from ongoing costs associated to maintenance and support of the PBX.

As you know, analog PBXs are becoming a thing of the past and the monthly/yearly maintenance price of an old PBX can be astronomical.

With VoIP, the deployment is much cheaper. Take for instance, you purchase a 2800 ISR router that already comes with CME and lease a PRI for voice and you are set. Try to do the same for an analog setup. The up-front and ongoing cost, added to the fact that analog is obsolete, does not bode well in the accounting department and the IT department loves it as well - it becomes at one stop shop.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Zeeshan,

If configured properly, when one VoIP Shop another, it doesn't go to the telco. Instead, it is routed through the network saving cost. (on-net to on-net).

If shop A is in AR and a staff is currently in LA but you have a shop in LA. Instead of calling direct from AR, another option is to call the staff's cell phone from the LA lines.

thanks Lelolaohoo.

saving costs results only when the call is made between two shops connected by a network. How coud it be cost-saving,when customers call for pizza and these calls are received on cisco ip phones at my shop since most of these calls from customers are made traditional phones?

thanks and have a nice weekend!

penkirans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Advantages of using IP Phones

Employees can see the oders on the phone .Update the closed orders which can be viewed on the central system automatically.

Fast customer service

Since pizza hut believes in customer service than in investment so my opinion in this competitive world good to go for IP phones.

I bet a pepperoni pizza that Pizza Hut does NOT manage orders via phone display.

Then regarding why they use cisco phones remember a good salesperson can sell sand in the desert. That not to say cisco phones are a bad prodcut.

Good luck with the part time job. I don't have even that.

Thanks for your reply!

i am still at loss . cost saving results when pstn is bypassed. But when different sides ( like pizza hut outlets) use cisco ip phone to communicate with each other, then it makes sense that money is saved as calls are routed through company network. But when customer calls for pizzza using tradiditional phones and these calls are received on cisco ip

phones, how coud it result in cost saving?

thanks a lot !

Sarah,

As others have stated there are savings on inter-company calls via VoIP but the greater savings come from ongoing costs associated to maintenance and support of the PBX.

As you know, analog PBXs are becoming a thing of the past and the monthly/yearly maintenance price of an old PBX can be astronomical.

With VoIP, the deployment is much cheaper. Take for instance, you purchase a 2800 ISR router that already comes with CME and lease a PRI for voice and you are set. Try to do the same for an analog setup. The up-front and ongoing cost, added to the fact that analog is obsolete, does not bode well in the accounting department and the IT department loves it as well - it becomes at one stop shop.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison and have a nice weekend!

Couple things...

1. You eliminate the cable infrastructure needed for analog phones.

2. With Voice and data converged you can consolidate staff (Not always a good thing).

3. Phones running over IP can run IP based applications and integrate with software running on Servers, Workstations, and POS devices.

etc...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Zeeshan,

But when customer calls for pizzza using tradiditional phones and these calls are received on cisco ip phones, how coud it result in cost saving?

How do you know your customer calls aren't coming from VoIP network? VoIP isn't exclusive to big corporate clients. Anyone with a decent DSL/Cable/Satellite connection can do VoIP. Who's never heard of Skype? How do you know that your analoge or PABX calls aren't being routed in a IP Network by your telco provider? Have you heard of Wi-Fi VoIP? I do, I'm using it at work and I love it!

Edison's got a good point. Because of VoIP, alot of PABX Manufacturer are now switching their production. PABX is a thing-of-the-past. Unlike PABX where you have to invest a king's ransom with cost, installation and on-going support, VoIP makes configuration, provisioning and administration of phones alot simpler and faster.

Here's an example I've heard alot of times. In a PABX world, when you transfer from one branch to another, you have to take your phone with you OR assigned new number (and you need to reprogram your quick keys/directory). With VoIP the configuration to your new phone (at the new location) is done before you even left.

There are a number of companies (small, medium or large) who have upgraded from PABX to VoIP but there are a minute number who coverted back to PABX due to various reasons (vendor support issues, cost-does-not-justify-the-mean and, last but not the least, Where-is-the-Press-Any-Key).

Apologize for the long rant (I promise to tone done on my decaff) and I hope this helps you.

Thanks a lot Leolaohoo.

I got it now.

you have a good weekend!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card