cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Route (IOS) for a simple static entry?

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

I'm haphazardly getting some 891W routers up and going for a client but I am not (yet) familiar with Cisco routers.  One such router (R1) will go to a small office toreplace a different vendor product.  However there are two of those vendor products onsite, so this will replace their Internet gateway router but it still needs to talk to other internal-only router (R2), using only a static route.  So R1 connects the office to the Internet, R2 connects some workstations to it, and then onnects upstream to R1. 

R1:  LAN = 192.168.0.0/24 (router IP = 192.168.0.1)

R2:  LAN = 192.168.1.0/24 (WAN port on R2 is IP = 192.168.0.100 - will connect up to R1 at 192.168.0.1)

I hope I'm illustrating this correctly.

So my thinking is that I would put in global config:

R1#(config): ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.100

However I'm not sure if that's right, to specify in R1's config the IP address of an interface that is on anothe rrouter.  Shoud I instead put in 192.168.0.1 and it will know that 192.168.0.100 can be found "downstream"? 

Thanks very much.  And the reason I don't want to mess with RIP or other routing protocols is simply due to lack of knowledge on my part right now.  Don't really have the time to learn it all just yet but will be doing so soon, unfortntaely after I have deployed these routers

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

your static route is correct it must point to a next-hop IP not a connected interface IP.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are off to a good start and your thinking to use ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.100 is correct. The static route identifies the next hop address. And the router will figure out that the next hop address is through the subnet of its connected interface.

If you think about it - if you did specify 192.168.0.1 in the route statement then how would the router know to look for 192.168.0.100? What would you do in the situation where there were 2 routers connected downstream from R1?

Good luck as you learn more about how Cisco routers work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

your static route is correct it must point to a next-hop IP not a connected interface IP.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are off to a good start and your thinking to use ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.100 is correct. The static route identifies the next hop address. And the router will figure out that the next hop address is through the subnet of its connected interface.

If you think about it - if you did specify 192.168.0.1 in the route statement then how would the router know to look for 192.168.0.100? What would you do in the situation where there were 2 routers connected downstream from R1?

Good luck as you learn more about how Cisco routers work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks guys.  Yeah Rick what you're saying makes sense.  I think what throws me off right now is that it seems the whole 8 port switch is set (by default) so that all 8 FE ports are bound to VLAN1, which itself is the only actual "interface" with an IP (on the LAN side o fthis 891W).  God help me if I actally have to change the configration, though I would probably just use CCP for that until I know how to make the right changes in all the right places in the IOS.  Like if I change an IP, do I have to change firewall and nat stuff etc.  Actually I"m almost certain thats going to be my next post so perhaps I'll leave that topic alone for now and make a new thread.  Either way, I'm going to enter that static route in now, so thanks again! 

There can be dependencies in the configuration of the router and changing something (like an interface address) may require changes in other parts of the configuration. It helps to have some examples of things that do work. And the forum is a good place to find some examples and to ask questions about how things work. I encourage you to continue to use the forum and to learn from it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Trust me, I will be depending heavily on this forum while I get through these 891Ws.  Then, I'm going to find a good CCNA book and get started on my foundations. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: