Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Routing on 2960

I just noticed in Cisco's latest IOS release that they have enabled ip routing. I just wondered if anybody had tested this and what size sites would you recommend this be used at.

We have got several stub networks which we use 3750's at and most of these do not have anymore than 20 machines. So I was thinking that as a possible cost saving, we could start using 2960's at any new sites and just enable IP routing. What do you guys think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: IP Routing on 2960

markbwyr1983 wrote:

I just noticed in Cisco's latest IOS release that they have enabled ip routing. I just wondered if anybody had tested this and what size sites would you recommend this be used at.

We have got several stub networks which we use 3750's at and most of these do not have anymore than 20 machines. So I was thinking that as a possible cost saving, we could start using 2960's at any new sites and just enable IP routing. What do you guys think?

Mark

You are right in that would be a good idea in terms of cost etc. and the 2960 does support connected and up to 16 static routes i believe. However there appears to be a serious bug when you enable routing on these switches and the bug fix release date is scheduled for February next year according to this thread -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3201313#3201313

so unless you have more up to date information from Cisco i would hold off using them for L3 routing.

Jon

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

markbwyr1983 wrote:

Mark

You are right in that would be a good idea in terms of cost etc. and the 2960 does support connected and up to 16 static routes i believe. However there appears to be a serious bug when you enable routing on these switches and the bug fix release date is scheduled for February next year according to this thread -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3201313#3201313

so unless you have more up to date information from Cisco i would hold off using them for L3 routing.

Jon

Thankyou

Views
Helpful
Replies