Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP routing VS Routed

I have a 3550EMI. I have not enabled IP routing because I have multiple vlans that I do not want to talk to each other and really don't want to have to deal with all the ACLs. I started using Cisco Network Assistant and noticed something in the Device Properties>IP Addressews tab. On each interface there is a checkbox that is label "Routed" and is checked by default when an IP address is put in. What is this and where is it in CLI because I have never seen it and have no clue what it does.

4 REPLIES

Re: IP routing VS Routed

A routed port means that it can be used as a point-to point (instead of using a VLAN). You assign an IP to the port and acts just like a router ethernet interface.

How about the VLAN interfaces? Those don't have a physical connection.

Gold

To put a ip address on interface you must set it as no switchport which means it will not be in any vlan. This makes it a routed only interface but without routing turned on you will basially be able to ping the switch.

The big question would be if you are not routing on your switch why do you have any ip addresses on the vlan interfaces in the first place. You really only need a single interface on the switch that has a ip address.

This would be used to manage the switch. You really don't need multiple different IP's whos only purpose is to manage the switch.

If you do not put a ip address on a interface then the switch cannot route between them. You would only place IP's on the interfaces you wanted the switch to route. On the ones you did not put IP's on it would ignore.

The reason I have it like this is because different buildings have different networks that can not talk and that way I can manage the switches from any building.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content