cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA - BGP

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Has anyone used IP SLA for internet type monitoring please let me know. 

I have few sites i managed in the UK, US & Germany with different provides BGP Multihoming and wanted to use IP SLA to do some measurement related to availability, performance and health of  Internet services. At present if something change within the provider cloud upstream to us for example a device failure cauisng a re-route, latency, we have no way of finding out!!!  Has anyone deployed this type of setup?

Francisco.

6 Replies 6

hulbertj17613
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, by using PfR. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps8787/products_ios_protocol_option_home.html

Not sure if you've looked at this.  If you need help let me know.

hello hulbertj17613,

Thanks for your response. The concept of OER is excellent but my concern is it's might be too complex for what i want to do. Is this something you're currently using? can you share any knowlege or experience & how you have it setup?

Francisco.

Hi Francisco,

Yes, I've deployed PfR at several different locations worldwide.  Mostly for the reasons you've indicated above; using the best performing outgoing path for my delay sensitive applications.  It's not that complex to implement but it does have some dependencies to consider (Hardware, Current IOS version, Current Memory percentage, Current BGP configuration). If you have a lab, I would recommend that you enable it there and see how effective it is.  If you don't have a lab, then I would try to enable PfR in the monitor mode only and then analyze the metrics that PfR will give you.

Jerry

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

this might help you a little:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipapp/configuration/12-4t/iap-eot.html#GUID-329D3946-840D-4C0D-85B6-5AB207C86F6F

If you need something more complex to watch, you might ask your providers if they are able to provide you SLA measurement reports (see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk362/tk920/technologies_white_paper0900aecd8017f8c9_ps6602_Products_White_Paper.html ).

HTH,

Milan

HI,

i have the same query, i have internet router connected with two ISPs one link for primary and other for secondary and the configuration between all of them is BGP, i want to monitor the link between ISP-1 and Internation ISP if goes down how can detect to let traffic go through secondary ISP as shown in diagram.

Thanks

Hello,

if there is any limitaion for PFR like what is the maximum bgp routes can be handled because i have received full BGP routing table, if you can give me an example how can i use it my scenario i have peeing with four ISPs.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card