Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA icmp-echo retry

bartjan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having some difficulties to have a stable connection on a Cisco 881. I have a IP Sla running with an ICMP-ECHO towards the uplink router. Linked with this is a tracking on the IP SLA so I can shutdown an HRSP instance with the tracking. The desired result is with this that when the nexthop becomes unavailable HSRP switches to the second router with the backup connection.

Regardless whatever timeout or threshold, the tracking switches at a random point when the line is somewhat congested. Debugging it shows me only a time-out on the IP SLA.

Is there anything possible to get the icmp-echo to retry it 2-3 times or so before going it's status is set to failure? Searching the Cisco site does not hand me out the right answers.

Any alternatives are also welcome.

Current configuration

track 1 ip sla 1

interface Vlan10

ip address 10.0.1.125 255.255.255.128

standby 1 ip 10.0.1.126

standby 1 priority 200

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 authentication *****

standby 1 track 1 shutdown

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 172.31.0.3 source-interface Vlan10

frequency 10

timeout 9000

threshold 8500

ip sla 1 schedule 1 life forever start-time now

In italic the line which does not help at all.

2 Replies 2

Hi Bartjan,

I would suggest, you remove those in italics and check how it is working...

Alternatively,

Since, your issue is mostly due to congested link, your packet is getting drops. One possible solution is that you apply TOS for ip sla packets and assured that it gets assured bandwidth, so that no packet sent by ip sla gets drop.

HTH,

Smitesh

Hi,

I know your pain.  

Okay lets try this.  Lets say you do a probe every 5 second but you want router to declare down after trying 3 times.

So 15 second is okay to declare its down. It would wait 10 second to declare its up.

!

track 1 ip sla 1

delay down 15 up 10

!

Hope I help you some

Toshi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco